[3830] CQ160 SSB VY2ZM Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K1ZM@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB VY2ZM Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2021 09:13:22 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: VY2ZM
Operator(s): VY2ZM
Station: VY2ZM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: PEI
Operating Time (hrs): 28

Total:  QSOs = 816  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 48  Total Score = 514,382

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

These were probably the worst 160m conditions I have seen in recent memory.
While I had a reasonable 1st hour of 105, the next two hours were something like
35 and 45 per hour respectively.  The only solid signal out of Europe the first
night was LY4A who was always there until his SR.  We stopped to chat a few
times the first night and he said he had worked only one transatlantic contact
(guess it was me...).

Now how bad was it really?  well, it seemed as if there was an RF WALL at the
Mississippi River. At the end of the first night I had only worked as far West
as Minnesota and Arizona with one notable exception.  My son KK6ZM operating in
southern Washington state was a single beacon from the West with a really great
signal - but there was NOBODY else.  At the end of night one I had something
like 45 states/provinces - an all time low.  A few chats with my brother K3ZM
had me in the dust (at least in terms of contacts - something like 650 qso's to
494 at the end of the first night).

Europe on night two was equally poor with no sunrise peak at all - in fact
signals dropped  like a rock as SR approached in Europe.

Around 0600z on Saturday night I checked in with Peter K3ZM and he has already
noted his commentary at the time.  I think we both quit shortly thereafter as
the conditions were so bad it was painful to keep going.

Congrats to Pedro for a fine effort despite conditions and I noticed KK6ZM had a
great score from zone 3 - the JA's were rolling in on SSB out there but nary a
peep out this way.

73 JEFF   VY2ZM