[3830] CQ160 SSB K8RR Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, radiodad2000@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB K8RR Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2021 03:20:24 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: K8RR
Operator(s): K8RR
Station: K8RR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 18:10

Total:  QSOs = 555  State/Prov = 49  Countries = 4  Total Score = 64,660

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

These were overall the worst conditions for a 160 meter contest in my memory. In
my part time operation here in NE Ohio, I logged no ME, OR, ID, NV, HI, SK, no
South American and only one European and two Caribbean stations. In contrast,
the combination of my new Yaesu FTDX10 transceiver and DX Engineering NCC-2
worked extremely well in my tough, high noise environment, allowing 555 Qs to 49
sections and 4 DX in 18 hours total. Some good runs and S&P were fruitful
while discovering all of the ways to use this fantastic new radio to its
potential. This ultra-capable single receiver portable package is reminiscent of
the FT-890; the has proved to me to be an industry leading transceiver. In my
view, it performs as well as the FTDX-101D that I borrowed for the CQ 160 CW,
with fewer front panel controls for simplicity. The ergonomic differences do not
detract from the functionality. I use the radio positioned diagonally at my left
hand next to the logging keyboard, so layout of AF and RF left of the VFO is
perfect for me. The "10" receiver section handles signals and noise
with ease and its audio is exceptional. Less than half RF gain and very high AF
gain settings are super quiet, revealing weak signals copied easily. Using the 3
kHz roofing filter and the Width DSP filter set to 1650 or 1800 Hz, the FTDX10
produces intelligible copy better than any previous radio I ever used with
narrow SSB filters. Rig control and audio interface was easy via USB with
installed Yaesu drivers. I was able to invoke the FTDX10 recorded voice keyer
memories with N1MM+ edited macro message commands. Didn't have to use .wav at
all! Thanks to the new "10" I had a lot of fun in this part time
effort, even though the 160 band was ill. 73, Rod K8RR