[3830] ARRLDX SSB J68HZ M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bill@wjschmidt.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB J68HZ M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 14:00:45 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: J68HZ
Operator(s): J68HZ WA4PGM W0CN
Station: J68HZ

Class: M/S HP
QTH: St. Lucia
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  188    42
   80:  498    50
   40: 2295    60
   20: 2470    60
   15: 2526    58
   10:   67    13
-------------------
Total: 8044   283  Total Score = 6,828,507

Club:

Comments:

COVID-19 has made this past year challenging for all of us, so it was a
wonderful relief to get away from it all and do a face-to-face contest once
again with good friends Kyle, Dan W0CN, and Bill J68HZ (K9HZ).  Villa Grand
Piton on St. Lucia provided the perfect accommodations (both staff and villa)
for the contest.

Once again, we had work to do when we arrived.  A new vertical antenna for 80
and 160 was installed and proved to work better than the previous antennas.
After some initial intermittent connections in the K3 were resolved (by
disassembling and reconstructing the radio), the equipment worked flawlessly
during the contest.  The KPA1500 worked without a single hitch.  We did have
some continued issues with the big SteppIR antenna again... and we will be
looking for maintenance free replacement to it for next year.

Propagation was not as good this year; fewer contacts on 160 and 80, but we did
have a short 20 minute opening on 10M late on Sunday that was critical to our
score.  We spent more time on multipliers, paying attention to subtilties in the
changes in band conditions. 15M was a real work-horse again... like last year.
Seemed we always had multiple bands open at the same time, so choices had to be
made.

Thanks to our friends at ZF1A for the competition, providing some healthy
motivation to excel.  Their operating is solid. We look forward to next year's
contest.

Kyle - WA4PGM
Dan - W0CN
Bill - J68HZ