[3830] ARRLDX SSB N1LN SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bemeier@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N1LN SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 15:42:41 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 26
Radios: SO2R

  160:   12    10
   80:   88    46
   40:  201    76
   20:  916   102
   15:  145    43
   10:   64     6
-------------------
Total: 1426   283  Total Score = 1,210,674

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I did not intend for my entry to be anything close to full time, but I did
expect to operate more on Friday night and Saturday night than I did. The poor
condition of the low bands would be the main cause for my abbreviated evenings.
I just never got a good run going on 40 meters. My best 40 meter run was on
Saturday night when operating split between my XMIT of 7209 +/- and my RX of
7090 +/- and that was nothing to brag about. Other than at that time, my 40
meter SP rates were better than run. I never tried any runs on 80 and 160 as my
evenings ended around 0400 UTC both nights with prior long breaks for dinner and
to watch some Netflix with my wife.

The big difference, and most fun of the weekend, was to be had on 20 meters.
Both Saturday and Sunday morning 20 opened here around 1100 UTC with fantastic
EU rates and strong signals.  My best 60 minute rate was 176 with many 10 minute
runs in the mid 200s. That was FUN! Rates were much better on Saturday but
unfortunately the Saturday opening ended around 1400 UTC and Sunday ended around
1500 UTC. Just one comment here. If the pileup is big, and some were, if the
callers would not continue to insert their call when I asked for a specific
letter or group of letters everyone would benefit from a higher overall rate.

The rest of Saturday and Sunday were mostly SP and trying to get a run going,
but SP continued to be a higher rate. My 15 meter Qs were almost all South
America (132) with the remaining 13 split between HI, AF and only 4 in EU. Sure
happy I didn’t try a SO15 like I did in the ARRL CW. 10 meters was all SA.
Thanks to all the active SA Hams with excellent signals and also fun to work!

My 26 hours of on the air time is slightly exaggerated, as both afternoons and
evenings I would walk into the shack, take about 5 minutes to work a few spots
and then go out to continue with other projects around the house or to watch the
PGA tournament on Sunday. I was typically not gone long enough to count as OFF
TIME.

In closing, as the sunspot cycle is on the rise, I hope the poor conditions of
this past weekend will not be repeated for many years.  It would be much more
fun to have a multi-band contest. Thanks to all the DX for getting on the air
and responding to my CQs or SP calls!

73,
Bruce N1LN