[3830] ARRLDX SSB WO1N SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wo1n@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB WO1N SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 16:54:37 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: WO1N
Operator(s): WO1N
Station: WO1N

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: Massachusetts
Operating Time (hrs): 15

  160:    6     5
   80:   50    29
   40:   55    41
   20:  160    62
   15:   50    17
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  321   154  Total Score = 147,378

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station: FTdx5000, C3-SS@38', 40MDi@55', 80M-C, 160MInvL, N1MM+

 Soapbox :

 Wow probably the worst conditions I've ever experienced in a
 SSB contest. I normally take a reserved approach to sideband
 contests from the home station/low power/low antenna. I
 thought maybe 500Q in 15 hours was possible while still being
 enjoyable. The definition of not enjoyable is the MUF falling
 to 7 MHz, the OWF falling well below 7 Mhz both nights
 and polar paths pretty much shutdown. N1MM+ says about 15
 hours operating.

 At times I felt like a spectator listening to this fantastic
 contest going on to the south of us.

 The Caribbean was in a radio blackout zone for me until the
 last 5 or 6 hours on the high bands. However reaching into
 South America was fine. I worked more PYs in this contest
 than every other country. Italy was 2nd.

 All S&P the first night. Pretty disappointing rates. Saturday
 morning on the high bands had a surreal element brought on
 by only being able to hear one side of the exchanges and a
 lot of the CQ in the face experience. As operating was
 unproductive I drifted off to other projects.

 The tribander got stuck pointing direct west Saturday
 mid-afternoon. Not a huge deal as it wasn't helping anyways.

 Picked at the low bands a bit on and off Saturday night,
 SO1W (Single Op, 1 Whiskey for the uninitiated). Couldn't
 hear Europe on 160, worked just about everything spotted
 on 80 and 40 was broken with the MUF/OWF below the band.

 Had a chat with N2KW at K1TTT on 160 and he noted he
 had been calling CQ for 3 hours without a single response.
 Hmmm, that's bad. I hit the sack early.

 Got up Sunday morning and was on the radio at 1130Z to see
 literally zero spots on 160, 80 and 40. The only station
 on 20 was K5ZD. Sounded like he was having fun. Played
 around with the rotator controller but the antenna was
 still stuck west. Went back to bed.

 Around 1600Z I checked the bands and the rotator started
 working. Great. Messed around most of the day on
 the high bands working mults. 20M kind of opened to
 Europe for me well into the afternoon and I could
 finally work into the Caribbean. At that point it was
 all I could do  to reach 300Qs. With a certain element
 of irony, I was able to work 3 new band countries. LoL.

 Glad that's over!

 73,

 Ken - WO1N