[3830] TBDC K4HQK Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jwfuller@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC K4HQK Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 15:45:32 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Spring

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Alexandria, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 6

Total:  QSOs = 90  Total Score = 239

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The 160m band did not seem in good health this weekend, especially Sunday
morning when the K index reached 4. Back in December the Stew Perry event seemed
livelier, with more participants. This time it was hard work to achieve fewer
QSOs than in the December contest (120).

Most activity fell in the 1807-1840 kHz range; only 8 of my 90 QSOs were above
that in the uncrowded band. There were even 2-3 kHz gaps without signals
scattered throughout. I also was not hearing stations very far away in the U.S.;
all my U.S. QSOs were east of the Mississippi River.

That said, I'm always happy for any response to my limited signal (100w,
one-half 80m dipole), so I still enjoyed contacting these 90 without much
difficulty (and no QRN)--including, by the way, six VE3s (no other Canadians
heard) plus NP2X, NP2J and the remarkably strong ZF9CW. And yes, a busload of
PVRC friends entered my log, too.

So, I'll be back for the next Stew Perry. Maybe by then ol' 160 will be feeling
better--after "he" receives two shots of ions in his F layer.

73,

John K4HQK
Alexandria, VA