[3830] WiQP W9ET Multi-Op Fixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nss@mwt.net
Subject: [3830] WiQP W9ET Multi-Op Fixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 13:41:58 +0000
                    Wisconsin QSO Party - 2021

Call: W9ET
Operator(s): WB9SBD KA9CHM
Station: W9ET

Class: Multi-Op Fixed LP
QTH: LA VALLE, WI.
Operating Time (hrs): 7

  160:
   80:     94       69
   40:    221      126
   20:     49        4
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
------------------------
Total:    364      199  Mults = 80  Total Score = 111,240.0

Club: Yellow Thunder Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

I love this contest!

Lots of Plans, Lots of preparations, Test this, test that, Umm that's not
right,,

It's like Wednesday, and the SWR on the 40 meter vertical is way off. It's like
4 to 1! But not only 4 to 1 but, a flat 4 to 1 from 7.0 to 7.3 there is not a
tiny bit of difference in the reflected at either end of the band. This antenna
has been perfect flat for over 10 years, now this is happening?

It is a self supporting full sized elevated vertical. the radials are 4 in
number full sized and are drooping down to make the antenna 50 ohms and act as
guy wires for the elevated base of the vertical.

I did not want to take the antenna down, so I tried just adding some wire to the
radials. they are half the antenna. and it worked! I was able to get the SWR
back to 1 to 1 again, Fantastic!

Now it's friday  all is still good.

Saturday I play on the air some all is still good.

Sunday I stay off the radio in the morning since I will be on it all afternoon.

It is 12:30 Check the radio,  GOOD & READY,, Logger ready.  80 meters
ready,, 20 meters,, ready.

40 meters, NOT READY! the SWR is terrible again. back up to like 4 to 1 again
and again no trend of long or short.

Maybe wednesday was a fluke? I go out and cut off the added wire on the
radials.

No change what so ever! A coax issue? can't be it's hearing the same as usual. I
don't have time for this it's already past 1 PM and the contest is running. I'll
just use the tuner and make the radio happy. I have to use the tuner on 80 and
20 also already anyway. so what the hell.

I get of 20 SSB and after 15 minutes of CQing only 1 contact. Screw this!
20 CW this is better, run for the rest of the hour CQing, work 54 contacts,

was decent rate at first, then sucks. Off to 40,, wow BUSY band,  start off with
S&P,
decent rate getting most with first call. But this Homebrew tuner, is incredibly
HIGH Q or is it LOW?
I have yet to find something that it could not make 1 to 1, Nice decent sized
breadslicer caps inside and a roller inductor.

But the nice 1 to 1 match is like only 30kc wide! I move 15Kc and it is back up
to 3 to 1 again. So doing this S&P is getting to be a royal pain constantly
re tuning the box. UG! So I finally find a decent open spot to start a run at
CQing. and was able to do the best I have in this contest in a long time. Even
with antennas that are about as bad as you can be for a contest like this.

For 20 meters I was using my elevated full sized 30 meter band elevated
vertical, talk about a low angle takeoff angle, surely terrible for close in
work.

40 meters was that 40 meter vertical, also terrible for close in work. I was was
already working California at 2 PM!

80 meters has to be the worst probably, think of an inverted vee laying on it's
side. Ok one leg goes south from the feedpoint and the other leg goes west.

the feedpoint is about 8 feet above the ground. and then ends about 6 feet!

But I still didn't do too bad!

 Band   Mode  QSOs     Pts  Mul  Mt2  Pt/Q
   3.5  CW      94     188    3    0   2.0
   3.5  LSB     69      69   16    0   1.0
     7  CW     221     442   39    0   2.0
     7  LSB    126     126    1    0   1.0
    14  CW      49      98   16    0   2.0
    14  USB      4       4    4    1   1.0
 Total  Both   563     927   79    1   1.6
Score: 111,240
1 Mult = 7.0 Q's

Joe W9ET (WB9SBD KA9CHM OPS)