[3830] ARRLDX CW KQ2M SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kq2m@kq2m.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW KQ2M SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2021 23:58:07 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: KQ2M
Operator(s): KQ2M
Station: KQ2M

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs): 9.0

  160:    5     4
   80:   79    27
   40:  305    41
   20:  836    55
   15:    6     6
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 1231   133  Total Score = 490,770

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

An ENORMOUS THANK YOU to Joe, KM1P for his generosity and willingness to drive
down from near Boston to climb my 130' tower in Western CT and spend 4 hours
working on a cold and windy January afternoon to fix my free-wheeling top 20 and
move several other antennas.  Temps in the 20's F on a cloudy day with 15 - 25
mph winds sure sure make antenna work unpleasant even on the ground, much less
where he was at 130' !

34 years ago, Joe was an instrumental part of my 1987 ARRLDXCW SOABHP
NON-assisted US WIN (my 1st) when he lent me his TS930 for use as my second
radio at KM1H. That was the first time that a US Single-op seriously used a 2nd
radio for an entire DX contest and I'm proud to say that that effort changed DX
contesting history as from that point on SO2R became the norm,  stations grew in
size and complexity and and scores soared.

Unfortunately the 100+ hours work weeks continued in my busiest time of the
year.  I worked both Friday evening and all day and Saturday and hooked up the
station early on Sunday. I operated 9.0 hours on Sunday starting at 1211z on 20.
 Pileups were incredible - getting so large and loud at times with so many zero
beat callers that for the first time that I can ever recall, there were periods
where I was unable to pull out any callsigns!  The last 10 minute peak rate of
297.1 was in the first hour and declined from there as the pileup got too big
and the callers would not stop calling even when I was working stations.

Propagation was generally mediocre with an absence of stations heard from the
polar regions.  QSB was rapid and extreme to go along with weaker than normal
signals strengths until Sunday evening on 20 when some JA's became loud for a
brief time.  15 never really opened.  Even 40 and 80 were rather poor Sunday
afternoon.  Apparently the good propagation was earlier in the contest.
Hopefully next year I will be able to put in a more meaningful effort.

As always it was great to work old friends and new ones, especially when the
rest of the world has their antennas pointed at the US for a change!

Thanks for the qsos and the mults and stay safe!

73

Bob, KQ2M

kq2m@kq2m.com