[3830] CQMM DX AB1J SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQMM DX AB1J SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 11:45:42 +0000
                    CQMM DX Contest - 2021

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Waltham, EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 19:55

   80:   27      0
   40:  102     11
   20:   65      5
   15:   26     18
   10:    4      3
----------------------
Total:  224     37  Countries = 29  Total Score = 59,004

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I never took an interest in the CQMM before, but this time I wanted to give it a
serious whirl. But when I fired up the rig at 1200 UTC Saturday morning I
thought there was something wrong with my station. I soon found everything was
fine except a Kp of 7.  Aaargh!  Signals were weak and there was deep QSB.  20m
sounded like 10m and 10m sounded like 220 MHz.  40m sounded somewhat normal and
was my money band.

Over the weekend the Kp dropped, but it was still 3 at the end.

The whole contest was like pulling teeth.  It was difficult to work DX, even SA
on the N-S path.  I worked only one AF, one OC and one AS station to make WAC.
EU was tough.  The simple exchange helped when signals did QSB crash dives.  I
just had to listen hard for a third letter: M, C, Q, Y.

Still, there were moments.  Any contest where I can work both K5ZD and KZ5D
can't be all bad. I alternated between this contest and the ONQP where I have an
armchair-copy pipeline to the province. Kept me busy and confused the logger
timer. I ended up with 1:55 in the ONQP and 19:55 in the CQMM. The truth lies
somewhere in between.

Saturday was rainy and yucky and it was nice to be in my snug shack. Sunday was
nice but I stayed in and stuck to the contest. Sort of a "sunk cost"
situation.

I'll be back next year.  I'm seriously considering taking out some propagation
insurance.

Thanks for the QSOs. Next up is the New England QP where I'll be W1W.

73,
Ken, AB1J

Flex 6500
N1MM Logger+  ViewProp
20m attic dipole
80m, 40m & 20m outdoor 66' outdoor stealth wire with indoor counterpoise;
old manual Dentron tuner
LoTW  eQSL  ClubLog