[3830] FlQP K4HQK SOABCW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jwfuller@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] FlQP K4HQK SOABCW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 00:44:19 +0000
                    Florida QSO Party - 2021

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: SOABCW HP
QTH: Alexandria, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 8:40

   40:   97     0
   20:   48     0
   15:    1     0
   10:    0     0
--------------------
Total:  146     0  CW Mults = 45  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 13,140

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This one is a bit tough from my Virginia QTH because of the skip distance. Even
40 meters can be tricky.(Why is 80m excluded from the contest? That band would
be perfect from VA to FL.)  On top of that, Saturday had unreliable band
conditions from a near-miss CME (K = 3). QSB episodes were frustratingly long
and deep throughout the weekend on 40m and 20m.

Activity was strong (pileups, even, like rare DX!) with plenty of county
representation, thanks especially to those determined mobiles. They put a lot of
small counties on the air. As a former Floridian (of Lake, Marion, Alachua, Leon
counties) with deep roots there, I confess I was puzzled that my final QTH
before moving to the D.C. area--Duval county (Jacksonville)--never turned up
among the CW stations. "No problemo" with southeast Florida! They were
out in force. Even Monroe county (the Everglades) had a station on the air.

My one QSO on 15 meters was a solo performance by N4H. I heard no one else on
that band. Incidentally, I easily worked all the "SHARK" stations.

Operating time was limited by family demands this weekend, but I still enjoyed a
bit of re-connection with the ol' Sunshine State.

John K4HQK
Alexandria, Virginia

Station: Icom 7410, Ameritron ALS-600 amp, Cushcraft R6000 vertical, and a 40m
dipole.