[3830] CQMM DX K3CCR M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, benn3um@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQMM DX K3CCR M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 20:52:46 +0000
                    CQMM DX Contest - 2021

Call: K3CCR
Operator(s): N3UM W3GB
Station: K3CCR

Class: M/S HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 17.3

   80:   10       4
   40:   86      36
   20:  224      34
   15:   39      24
   10:   12      11
----------------------
Total:  371     109  Countries = 71  Total Score = 302,040

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

K3CCR is the club station at the Collington continuing-care
retirement community at FM 18OW in MD, just east of DC. We did
Multi-“Single” HP AB in the 2021 CQMM DX test, with N3UM on the
“main” run station and W3GB on the “hunter” mult station.

Our first time in CQMM; the sponsor club invited us in a cordial
email. It was a good way to fill the April/May contest lull.

The unique rules led us to think we should make few W/K Qs, at
1 point and no mults, but focus on 3 and 6 point Qs in SA and EU.
So, in our first 3 hrs Sat. 1130-1430Z we put the run station on
20 M and then 15 M so it could work all of the many SAs and EUs,
and the mult station on 40 M.

Big mistake; the run station got 59 Qs and 37 mults in the 3 hrs,
vs 17 Qs and 17 mults for the mult station. We should have put the
mult station on 20 and 15 M FIRST, while the run station ran W/Ks
on 40 M, and then worked NON-mult SAs and EUs on 20 and 15 M.

We did not notice till mid-day Sun. that W/Ks were worth 2-3 pts
average, since many were 10-pointers. By then it was too late; we
never ran for W/Ks on 40 or 80 M, and timed the mult-station band
selections badly.

But, W3GB did well, 57 mults, 8 far and/or rare; 3D2, 9G, FK, HZ,
TG, VK, ZD7, and ZL, plus 7 common mults like CT, G, and OE that
the run station missed, in the ~6.2 hrs he was QRV.

We intend to do CQMM again next year, and expect to get a much
better result given what we know now.