[3830] 7QP N7XU(K4XU) M/S MobileCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 7QP N7XU(K4XU) M/S MobileCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 02 May 2021 21:41:34 +0000
                    7th Call Area QSO Party - 2021

Call: N7XU
Operator(s): K4XU
Station: K4XU

Class: M/S MobileCW LP
QTH: Oregon
Operating Time (hrs): 17:40

  160:    0
   80:  101
   40:  291
   20:  485
   15:    0
   10:    0
    6:
    2:
----------------------------
Total:  877     0       0  Mults = 62  Total Score = 162,750

Club: CODXC

Comments:

Long day in the saddle. My driver was W7AM, a recent addition to the CODXC. He
had never seen a good part of the outback Oregon and was eager to see the
country. There is a lot of empty space in Eastern Oregon. Several of the
counties have no intelligent life forms which is what shapes my route.

After doing the 500 mile route I dropped Richard off around 6PM local at his car
and I went off to a couple of my favorite quiet spots where I can pull off the
road and work the low bands. 20m became non-productive about 7:30PM and I
changed out the 20/15m antenna for a single 40 on the fender mount. The
screwdriver on the trailer hitch was used for 40m at the start. When changed
from 40m, the screwdriver went to 80m. Hitch mounting the screw driver renders
it half as efficient as a fender mount but this High Sierra screwdriver is too
much load for a fender mount.

Low band conditions were quite good and judging from the number of DX stations
worked, 20m was in good shape. I checked 15m a couple times but it was empty.
The slowest hour was 20Z: 25 QSOs going through the John Day river canyon, a
place best suited for moon bounce. It was raining cats, the first rain since
November, and the first time in 16 years of 7QP. It cleared by 22z. Richard was
happy.

Missed ND, SDn and 9 of the 13 VE mults. So with 8 DX the mults were 62, a
record for me.

The rig is a TS-480, HP laptop and a MORTTY. The homebrew antennas have an open
coil at 40" and as much "whip" above as the law allows -
13'6" max height. The vehicle is a very rf-quiet VW Jetta diesel.

Thanks for all the QSOs and my thanks to all the 7QP state captains who make
this one of the best attended QSO parties in the land.

Dick K4XU