[3830] 7QP W7QM(W6PH) Cnty Exped SO LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6ph@aol.com
Subject: [3830] 7QP W7QM(W6PH) Cnty Exped SO LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 00:10:51 +0000
                    7th Call Area QSO Party - 2021

Call: W7QM
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: W7QM

Class: Cnty Exped SO LP
QTH: NVMIN/NVESM
Operating Time (hrs): 9.2

  160:
   80:
   40:  198
   20:  442
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
----------------------------
Total:  640     0       0  Mults = 55  Total Score = 105,600

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Eastside Contest Group County Line Expedition NVMIN/NVESM

IC7000, 40/20m vertical, DXlog, Honda EU2000i generator, S10 Blazer

This started out to be a County Expedition to an abandoned brothel on US Hwy 6
just inside Nevada in Mineral County.  The director of the Eastside Contest
Group (W6SX) suggested trying the county line as Esmeralda County is close to
Hwy 6 at the Cal border.  On a 4WD map I saw a jeep trail that would go to the
county line.  I got to the spot about 7 am and found the jeep trail.  I followed
it up to a point that would be the border and found a 6x6 post about 8 feet high
with no markings.  But it is in the right place to be a county line marker.
There was a good spot to set up.  I erected my 40/20 vertical (a single 20m
trap) and guyed it as there were strong winds forecast.  It took about an hour
to get ready and my first contact was 8:15 am.  I was set up on the tailgate of
my S10 Blazer with a folding chair to sit on, a very uncomfortable decision.  I
had the laptop inside a cardboard box to enhance the readability of the screen
in the bright sun.  It wasn't enough and I spent most of the time with my head
inside the box to see the keyboard and logging window.  I tried throwing a
blanket over the box and my head but it kept getting in the way.  I have to
figure a way to alleviate this in the future.  By 5:30 pm I had had enough and
went QRT.  It took about an hour to take down the antenna and stow everything
and I headed back to Lone Pine at 6:30 pm.

I actually made contact with 320 stations but each contact counted as two QSO's
being on a county line.  I operated at 24 wpm because I felt that a faster speed
would make it difficult to copy my exchange.  Even so, I had many requests for
repeats.  I missed NJ, DE, LA, ND, and SD.  I had 5 European mults and a single
JO7WXN call in.  VE3, 5, 6, and 7 were the only Canadians.

My thanks to K4XU and the others that sponsor this QSO Party.  It was fun.

73, Kurt W6PH