[3830] NewEngQP W1W(AB1J) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] NewEngQP W1W(AB1J) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 04 May 2021 15:28:11 +0000
                    New England QSO Party - 2021

Call: W1W
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Waltham, EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 13:43

   80:    142
   40:    260
   20:    109
   15:     36
   10:      1
------------------------
Total:    548       0  Mults = 53  Total Score = 58,088

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Breaking News: Turtle Loses Race

That should be the headline for my NEQP operation. I was hoping to do better but
conditions were poor with weak signals and troublesome QSB. And there was lots
of competition in MIDMA, let alone the rest of the state. Some of these guys are
using regulation antennas so I have questions about fairness.

At the start of the contest on Saturday I had a very high noise level, very
wide, from 3.5 MHz to 18 MHz. It went away by evening, but while it was there it
pretty much prevented me from running as I couldn't hear the weak replies, so I
was limited to S&P for strong stations only. Generally, my location is
pretty quiet for being in an industrial city.

Some thoughts:

I had more QSOs than last year, but fewer mults. My raw score is only 62 points
higher than my final score last year.

I'm glad the logger can tell the difference between WU3A and W3UA.

My 6500 went nuts once and started buzzing with no reception. It does this every
6 months or so. I needed to do a hard shutdown and remove power for a while
before restarting.

The W1W call worked fine. This is true for domestic contests, but not so much
for international ones. This is my third year using the call in the NEQP so
maybe folks are familiar with it.

I worked NV9L on all five bands and it was my only 10m QSO (with a strong
signal).

This is the best contest for me to practice running as I'm in demand. Had 65% of
QSOs running, vs 71% last year. This is also the only contest where I can get
any traction running, so there's some circularity.  Any other contest is more
like 20% running on a good day.

See you next year.

73,
Ken, AB1J

Flex 6500
N1MM Logger+  ViewProp
20m, 15m and 10m attic dipoles
80m, 40m and 20m outdoor 66' outdoor stealth wire with indoor counterpoise; Ye
olde armstrong Dentron tuner
LoTW  eQSL  ClubLog