[3830] WPX CW KJ5T SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, steve@kj5t.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW KJ5T SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 01:39:07 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: KJ5T
Operator(s): KJ5T
Station: KJ5T

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 17:15

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:   30
   20:  102
   15:   23
   10:    7
------------

Club:

Comments:

Rig: Elecraft KX2 @ 5W
Antennas: Hustler 6BTV

First major contest from the new place using the new Hustler 6BTV.  I went with
this antenna because it easy to install solo, is low maintenance and for the
price tends to have pretty decent performance.  We are east enough of the area
that our soil is rich and has higher conductivity per the maps than other parts
around here.

I had planned a casual but closer to full time operation, unfortunately severe
storms Friday along with some plumbing issues that I had to tend to Saturday
morning made for a late start.  I got lazy Saturday night and instead of staying
on 40 chasing the higher point QSOs I went off to bed. I went QRT a few hours
early Sunday for a much needed Costco run with my wife and some Sunday evening
chores.

The aforementioned plumbing issues kept me from having time before the contest
to adjust the tuning on 80 meters, ultimately I chose the 6BTV because of 30
meters for non-contest operations and need to get a real antenna on 80 at some
point, less of an issue during WPX since mults count only once and not per band.

My primary goal was to see how the 6BTV would perform, and it was about what I
expected, I worked about a dozen EU countries, a handful of South
American/Caribbean. No Africa or Asia was heard from here this weekend.

As usual with QRP not every station I can hear can hear me, I probably spent too
long trying to get some in the log, overall I had fun and am mostly happy with
the results, had I operated Friday evening and stayed up later on Saturday I
might have even been closer to 200 Q's.  There have been some really impressive
QRP scores over the years, I will need some more antennas to match those (hi
hi).

Thanks for pulling me out of noise!

73 de KJ5T dit dit