[3830] WPX CW K0XP SOAB TB-Wires HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0xp@k0xp.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW K0XP SOAB TB-Wires HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 08:11:28 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: K0XP
Operator(s): K0XP
Station: K0XP

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 26:41

------------
  160:    6
   80:   54
   40:  193
   20:  262
   15:   69
   10:   11
------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

My goal going in was to inflate my 10/15 meter country count, so I started on
10, hoping for a JA or 2 or maybe even E2s or XV1X, but to no avail. Went to 15,
hoping for a string of JAs, but nothin' doing; just a few JAs and a lotta W/Ks.
Finally wound up on 20 where the Euros were plentiful and mostly strong, even on
my 61' wire in a pine tree. Stayed there until late Friday night then finally
went to 40, hoping for strings of JAs... nothin' doing, only heard a few but
lotsa W/Ks and VEs plus a few SAs and others. Finally went to bed at 5 am.
Didn't get back on until around noon Sat then found absolutely nothin' on 10,
very little and nothing new on 15, so started off on 20. Europe was great and I
had high hopes to convert the good conditions to runs, but nothin' doing. Try as
I did, I never got a run string longer than a few dozen. This seemed to
contradict the responses I was getting when calling: folks were mostly coming
back on my first call, yet hardly anybody was answering CQs. Both nights, I had
to quit for a couple hours right before sundown to take care of my 98-yr-old
father so that killed any unusual grayline prop. After sundown, I went to 40 and
found the band in the best shape I've ever heard it from SoCal for decades; it
seemed like every European was coming back on the first call. I even heard a TC3
for the first time ever but he was also S&P so didn't work him 8-( UP0L,
another rarity for me, was an easy 559 but wasn't hearing me or other calling
W/Ks. Had to take Dad to church Sunday morn so didn't get back on until almost
noon again. 10 was kaput, 15 had nothing new I could find, but 20 worked pretty
well. Wound up working just shy of 595 Qs but I know some 25 or so of the others
will prove NG. I doubt I increased my country count any at all but hope springs
eternal...