[3830] WPX CW NC8C(W1NN) SOAB TB-Wires Unassisted LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW NC8C(W1NN) SOAB TB-Wires Unassisted LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2021 00:13:31 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: NC8C
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: SOAB LP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires Unassisted
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 28
Remote Operation

------------
  160:
   80:   53
   40:  599
   20:  521
   15:  260
   10:   22
------------

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

This was an unassisted operation.  My log will be sent to the Unassisted
Challenge as well as the contest sponsor (only because the Unassisted Challenge
requires this).

Stuck in Japan since December 2019, I’ve been operating my station in Ohio via
remote.  The WX has been unkind to my modest collection of dipoles, but my good
friends K8MR and AF8A have made multiple trips to repair the damage and keep me
on the air.  Their most recent trip was the day before this contest so I was
back to a full set of four dipoles for this event.  The new 20 dipole worked
quite well and I could even get some decent EU runs going later in the day when
the Europeans turned their antennas on North America (early in the day EU is
strong but they generally can’t hear me).   I had pretty good luck on 40 too
and was able to run quite a bit. On Saturday morning, 15 showed signs of really
opening to Europe but it fizzled out pretty quickly.  Fortunately, I caught the
Sunday afternoon short skip and had a couple of really good runs there,
something pretty rare for me.

Operating remote from Japan has advantages and disadvantages.  40 meters is open
during the day my time, but I need to be awake in the middle of the night to do
much on the high bands.  A serious US op will want to nap for a few hours around
3 or 4 AM, but this is still only late afternoon for me and it is usually hard
to sleep at this hour.  Then I am super tired when I need to be awake at 3 AM my
time.

An unusual highlight of this year’s contest:  A favorite Japanese TV show of
ours is a Sunday evening show about World Heritage sites, sponsored by camera
maker Canon.  Since the bands are poor at this hour, I was on a break and able
to tune in.  This week’s program happened to be about Malta and its three
truly amazing World Heritage sites:  the capital city of Valletta, the
Hypogeum,and its prehistoric temples.  I had not known much about Malta before
this but I was really impressed and the XYL and I agreed that this was a place
we’d really like to visit when the world gets back to normal.  When I got back
on the air a little later, I was understandably thrilled to hear and work a
pretty strong 9H6A on the low end of 40 Meters!  Isn’t radio great?

73, Hal W1NN (NC8C in the contest) remote@tokyo