[3830] WPX CW NJ6G(@W6YX) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW NJ6G(@W6YX) M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 15:52:21 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: NJ6G
Operator(s): W6LD W6RK N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Stanford
Operating Time (hrs): 48

------------
  160:
   80:  169
   40:  935
   20: 1799
   15:  669
   10:   64
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I was joined by John, W6LD, and Risto, W6RK, for WPX CW this year. We had at
least one radio on the air for the entire 48 hours and about 34 hours with two
operators.

We worked a total of 105 countries. Our continent breakdown is:

          160M    80M    40M    20M    15M    10M   Total      %

    OC       0      3     64     34     26      1     128     3.5
    NA       0    111    487    824    538     24    1984    54.6
    SA       0      2     25     21     51      2     101     2.8
    EU       0      0     56    479     10      0     545    15.0
    AS       0     53    300    436     41     37     867    23.8
    AF       0      0      3      5      3      0      11     0.3

We worked more EU than Asia on 20. A few Europeans were worked on 15 on Sunday
but none were heard on 10.

We worked almost as many JAs on 10 during an hourlong opening on Saturday as we
did overall on 15. In hindsight we should have moved the other radio from 20 to
15 during the opening on 10, but 20 was still open to EU so we were trying to
pick up European mults and 3-pointers. Our only rotatable 20 and 15 Yagis are on
the same mast so we favored beaming EU where there were more unworked mults on
20 and missed some of the best opportunities for Asia on 15.

We were interrupted by a loud noise outside the shack a couple hours before the
end of the contest. A tractor was discing a perimeter in the fields around the
W6YX station site as a fire break. We interrupted the fellow doing the discing
to pull a temporary feedline out of his way. Our other feedlines and control
cables are in underground conduits so just the one feedline was in harm's way.

Many times our callsign (NJ6G) was miscopied as N1BG. When this happened I sent
the callsign again with word-spacing between the letters. About half the time
this resulted in a correction. Next try was sending slower by hand with extra
dits added to the 6. After multiple back and forth iterations some ops would
just give up even though signals were often strong.

Thanks to Dennis, NJ6G, for use of the callsign.

73,
-Mike, N7MH