[3830] ARRL June VHF K1HTV Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K1HTV Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 18:34:06 +0000

Total:  359   137  Total Score = 50,142

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Score : 50,142
Rig : K3 & SSPA (700W)
Antennas : 6M 7el LFA @ 77 ft,
           6M 7el K1JX @ 40 ft.

Soapbox :
After 10 SSB QSOs on 2 Meters, the tower mounted 2M preamp failed. Because of
this, I decided to focus primarily on 6 Meters plus work a few local rovers on
FM on the higher bands. As expected, the number of 6M SSB and CW operators was
low resulting in a low number of QSOs on those modes.

The 50.313 frequency produced the bulk of FT8 QSOs. The first few hours were
relatively quiet with little if any skip. Saturday, between 20Z and 22:30Z,
stations in PY, 9Y, P4, KP4, 8P, FG, YV, J7, HK, VP9 were worked followed in the
next few hours by short openings to W5, 9 and 0 land.

Around 12:45Z Sunday morning, after returning home from church, there was a
brief 15 minute opening to the east. FT8 stations were worked  in I, CU, CT as
well as a few new VE1 grids. For the next few hours there was signle hop Es from
Cuba to the south, as well as stations in the southern EM grids. Then around
16:30Z, OD5KU was decoded as well as 4Z1UF, both on 50.323MHz. I wasn't able to
get their attention but I was was able to work SV2DCD on 50.323 around 17Z. Then
about 30 minutes later the Magic Band opened to Europe and a few African coastal
islands. Over the next 5 hours, 6M multi-hop ES propagation to the east produced
a number of new grids as stations were worked in CT(5), CU(1), EA(19), EA6(3),
EA8(2), F(4), IS0(1) and I(2). The last of the DX to the east was worked at
22:30Z. The rest of Sunday was spent callin CQ and watching for new grids. There
were spurts of activity on FT4 on 50.318 MHz when the propagation allowed.

I hope that in the future the ARRL will consider changing VHF contest rules
which will allow 6 Meter and 2 Meter stations to get points for working other
stations for points on 3 modes (CW, Phone and Digital). Serious competors would
have to use all three modes in order to beat the competition. Hopefully that
will increase VHF contest activity on CW & phone.

73,
Rich - K1HTV