[3830] ARRL June VHF K1TEO Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K1TEO Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 23:31:24 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2021

Call: K1TEO
Operator(s): K1TEO
Station: K1TEO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN31/CT
Operating Time (hrs): 26
Radios: SO2R

    6:  502   137
    2:  260    55
  222:   84    34
  432:  116    39
  903:   29    19
  1.2:   50    20
  2.3:   25    13
  3.4:   12     9
  5.7:    8     8
  10G:    8     7
  24G:
-------------------
Total: 1094   341  Total Score = 549,351

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

Score was up slightly from last year though 6M condx and results were way down.
The other bands, including full use of 222 after issues last year, made up for
the lower 6M score. The openings this year were not widespread and as they say
"sporadic". Also in the limited situations where the band picked up
there was a lot less on SSB/CW than there was last year. My 6M QSO's on FT8 rose
to slightly over 50% with some additional Q's on msk144. Only about 8 or 10 FT4
QSO's though I tried there. It is a lot nicer to operate on FT4 with out nearly
as much QRM and the faster exchange but not enough guys try there.

Band condx on 2M and up were decent the first few hours, fell off and then
Sunday AM were pretty good down the coast. By mid day they were back to normal
and the noise on 2M got pretty bad making it tough sledding until the early
evening hours. I was very busy for most of the contest except for Sunday
afternoon when things were pretty slow.

I did run into one major issue. In the January contest I had significant
interference a few times on 2304. It was intermittent and fortunately wasn't a
major factor. I had checked the rx several times since and used the band in the
spring sprint without interference. I turned the rig on Saturday morning and it
was there with a vengeance - s9 noise from about 200 degrees around to 280. And
this time it stayed on the whole contest. That made it really tough to hear
stations in that key direction. I checked this morning and it is gone. Hopefully
I will find the problem and its solvable.

Sunday evening Peter VA3ELE texted me to say there were some big storms between
us. We have been trying to work on 10G to give both of us a new grid for awhile
now. Most of the time my tower is cranked down and below the treeline making 10G
efforts difficult. This time the alignment of a contest (tower up) and the
storms was the key.  I heard Peter as soon as we started and he stayed in solid
copy on rain scatter throughout the QSO. A little dxing in the middle of a
contest, hi!

And lastly one interesting SWL report. The Trans Atlantic station in
Newfoundland decoded me on FT8 (2M) during the contest -with the antenna facing
toward EU. That's a pretty good haul from here.

Tnx for the Q's and to the rovers for heading out.

73,
Jeff K1TEO