[3830] ARRL June VHF KG6CIH/R Unlimited Rover HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF KG6CIH/R Unlimited Rover HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 20:01:44 +0000

  3.4:    7     4
  5.7:    2     1
  10G:    6     3
  24G:    2     1
-------------------
Total:  263    68  Total Score = 33,116

Club:

Comments:

QSO and mult counts also include two 122G contacts, two light contacts, and six
grids activated.

The new rover truck with permanently attached 70cm+ beams and quick setup of the
lower three bands is really paying off.  Setup and tear down time now takes ~ 8
minutes on either side of the stop, which means more time operating, which means
more contacts.  I'm really happy with how the numbers are heading up, especially
the microwave contacts.  It's a lot of the same people over and over again
(AF1T, K1KG, K1GX, K1TEO, WB1GQR) but it's a lot of contacts with those guys.
I'd love to add more fixed stations to that list.  I was able to run nine bands
with multiple stations from multiple stops.

Various other station improvements are helping out, too - addition of a rotator,
ferrites on tons of things, quick changing of microwave bands.  5G and 10G
continue to be very awkward in these contests.  I need a radome on the top of my
mast, or something.

My route is improving but still not ideal.  It's a long way from my FN31 stop to
anywhere else, and Jerimoth Hill in FN41 is pretty crummy.

Mults are way down from last June.  I only enjoyed a little bit of the Sunday
morning opening before I had to head out.  So that's a little disappointing.
It's hard to hit these openings as a one person rover.

Finally, digital modes - I still haven't added them to my rover, but I don't see
how I can improve my score too much in any other way (aside from adding a person
or hitting the Es jackpot).  This contest proves to me that there's plenty of
microwave contacts to be had and that people in New England are interested in
moving up the bands.  I just also need to be on the digital modes sometimes to
work farther out 6m stations.  There's plenty of down time I could be on it.