[3830] ARRL FD WA4PSC 1D LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD WA4PSC 1D LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 14:24:35 +0000

  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

For 2021, this was once again a solo, from-home Field Day experience.  We had a
derecho/hail storm with 80 mph winds here in NC a short while ago and my only
antenna, a 160 M OCF dipole, got snagged by a poplar tree, so it is no longer in
a straight line in free space and a good 20 feet of the middle is buried in
foliage.  However, after checking the SWR and seeing it was still acceptable on
160-15 M, I figured I had nothing to lose.  Interestingly enough the antenna
still radiated well, but the pattern is notably altered, favoring NE and NW
directions where I was apparently pretty strong based on the pile-ups I busted.
It performed notably worse in the SW and SE directions compared to pre-snag.  It
is further verification of my feeling that if matched correctly, a long wire
high in the air can radiate pretty efficiently.

80-20 were reliably good, although activity on 80 in the evening was not up to
the level I expected.  20 and 40 were strong all weekend and supplied the vast
majority of Qs.  15 M opened up here in NC on Sunday AM as apparently did 10 M,
but little joy here on 10.

The K3 performed spectacularly per usual, allowing me to grab small run spots
between big click-monster signals from some defective rigs...this transmit
bandwidth problem / CW minimum risetime issue needs to be fixed, and thank you
to Rob Sherwood and others for shining a light on the issue!  Quite frankly I
believe it should be part of the FCC acceptance procedure to check A1 mode
bandwidth with some set keying speed and the minimum risetime setting.

Thanks to every one for the Qs, and for your patience when I became brain-tied
after being awake for far too long...

Cheers & 73,
Howie / WA4PSC

Elecraft K3
160M Carolina Windom @ 80 ft.

**I added the 100 points for copying the ARRL bulletin, not sure if this is
where it goes...