[3830] ARRL FD N4XD 1C LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ron.spencer@zoho.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD N4XD 1C LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 15:17:38 +0000

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  714     0       0  Total Score = 2,856

Club: Smithchart Amateur Radio Society

Comments:

Score doesn't include any bonus points I may qualify for.

Operated from a scenic overview off Highway 21 north of Elkin, NC and just down
the hill from Roaring Gap. Excellent drop off from E to NW. N blocked a bit.

Weather was perfect, mostly. Rain started on and off Sunday so packed up early
(around 1 local) beating most of the rain.

There was some traffic on highway 21 (only stuff that was loud were trucks using
their jake brake and Harleys out enjoying the twisting road). A few people
stopped in for the view but most left pretty quickly. One ham did stop by when I
was setting up. He saw the antenna and asked if I was setting up for FD. What a
surprise!!

The location worked well and, with the guard rail (the land fell off pretty
quickly on the other side of the parking lot) I had built in ground rods and
places to tie off the antenna! Quite handy.

Equipment was a K3, tuner for the vertical which is supported by a 40' spider
beam mast, computer for logging, and an unterminated bog which helped quite a
bit on 40 and 80.

At the site I added two, 15', top hat wires to the vertical (a wire supported by
the mast)to see if I could get it to load up on 80. Amazingly, it did! I'd like
to say it was through detailed analysis with my nanovnaa, simsmith and
information of the inductance and capacitance, per foot, of the wire I was going
to use for the top hats.

I'd like to say that but it would be wrong! I used a SWAG. Fortunately it worked
really well.

It was nice to find prop, Sunday, on both 10 and 15. Never could get much going
on 20 but 80 sure worked well.

Overall a very enjoyable field day with enough activity to make it fun. sorry to
all those I couldn't pull out (QSB was deep and rapid). Thanks to all I could.

Ron
N4XD

K3
40' vertical with 5 or 6 random length radials
N1MM+ for logging. such a fantastic program and, amazingly, free. Thanks to the
team that developed in and continues to update it.