[3830] NAQP SSB K7GK Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K7GK Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 17:00:51 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: K7GK
Operator(s): K7GK
Station: K7GK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EB
Operating Time (hrs): 7+

  160:
   80:   21     6
   40:  133    37
   20:   80    37
   15:    3     2
   10:
-------------------
Total:  237    82  Total Score = 19,434

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC Team #2

Comments:

It was interesting to see how many times I was asked to repeat my name and
state. Yes, part of it was being weak, not being able to use any decent antennas
here at home. But I'm sure a significant proportion of the questions was due to
the prefills. I certainly don't have a problem with prefills, either when used
by others or using them myself. But it does contribute to the inequity in the
contests based on information recognition. Call recognition being one, but also
exchange recognition. To do well in these contests, you can't afford some 10% of
your QSOs to be longer than the competition, with multiple back-and-forths.
Anyway, no, my call wasn't used by anybody else, nor was I doing a tribute to a
lost friend, much less was I making other operators work extra hard to get
different exchange as some kind of a spoiler. I've had this problem in the
contests with the name for a while. If I send my real name, it usually gets
misspelled, as it is more common to have an extra letter N. For a while I
thought shortening it to just three letters was the way to avoid this problem,
which works fine on CW, but there is still a problem with it on the phone, since
Den is mostly heard as Ben or Dan. So, spelling every exchange was pretty much
the only way to go. This is how I got to this point, where I decided to use a
shortened version of my middle name as the name in the exchange.
The propagation didn't do us any favors in this one. With this setup, I wasn't
able to make any runs on 20 no matter what. Fortunately, things have improved a
tiny bit on 40, where I was able to run mostly West Coast, but there still was
barely any rate to speak of. The highlights were a couple of successful moves -
WH7T to 15 and KH6CJJ to 80, aloha! Also getting called by a couple of stations
from the East late in the contest on 40 for a last ditch mult (tnx K8LX, K3WJV
and AE6JV), as well as working a local, WD6T on 4 bands, thanks, David.

>From now on in "named contests",
Al in Cal (unofficially known as Denis)