[3830] WWDigi K6OK SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WWDigi K6OK SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 23:51:45 +0000
                    World Wide Digi DX Contest - 2021

Call: K6OK
Operator(s): K6OK
Station: K6OK

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CM98
Operating Time (hrs): 23.5

  160:    7     6
   80:   39    15
   40:  208    42
   20:  294    57
   15:   66    22
   10:
-------------------
Total:  614   142  Total Score = 239,838

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Some quick random thoughts in no particular order:

-- My score is down 6% compared to last year.  The usual 1600Z 20 meter opening
W6 to EU was blocked by a solar flare/CME disturbance, so that pretty much
killed any chances of me setting a new personal high score. The solar flare's
effect faded and propagation was better in the 2nd half. Around 0430Z there was
a nice opening on 20 meters over the pole, allowing me to grab several grids in
central Asia in rapid succession. It really is one of the coolest things in
radio to have a decode window that, without warning, shows a long list of
stations from multiple DX entities across the world, all heard in one cycle.
There's nothing else like it.

-- Most operators now seem to understand no 73 after RR73, which is good. It is
not needed. If you send me RR73 and you see me CQ or call someone else, that
means I got all of your information. If I send my exchange back to you after
RR73, that's your clue I need a repeat.

-- What can we do to get more ops to use FT4? 70 percent of my QSOs were FT8,
only 30 percent FT4. That's mostly by necessity, not by choice. Too often the
FT4 segments only had a small number of stations on, not enough to sustain a
even a 30-minute run. Running FT4 is a lot more fun than the slow FT8 crawl.

-- Need a solution to the non-contesters who send and want signal reports. There
needs to be simple and obvious way to instantly switch between exchange types.

-- One of things I really like about grid-based contesting is it chops up big
countries like Russia, China, Indonesia and Australia into several multipliers
instead of just one.

-- Had a lot of fun chasing KK6P(W7IV) on the online contest scoreboard. For a
couple of hours on Sat. nite we were leapfrogging over each other. Too bad he
had to pull the plug shortly after midnight, no doubt he would have won our race
if he stayed in it. I wish more ops would use the scoreboards.

Thanks for the Qs and see you in WW DIGI next year. -- 73 Jim K6OK