[3830] WWDigi K3MM SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3mm@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] WWDigi K3MM SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 01:54:43 +0000
                    World Wide Digi DX Contest - 2021

Call: K3MM
Operator(s): K3MM
Station: K3MM

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 23
Radios: SO2R

  160:   37    11
   80:  174    31
   40:  332    59
   20:  430    54
   15:  105    23
   10:   16     6
-------------------
Total: 1094   187  Total Score = 429,539

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Tested my setup for several hours the week before the contest...of course,
Friday night, the SO2R switching of the Flex was a little intermittent at the
start but magically disappeared after a couple of restarts of everything.  I
left everything running except the amps overnight.  Of course, Saturday morning
I start the contest and its back worse than ever and only switches sides every
other time...and then every time! I spent the first 2.5 hours intermittently
running SO1R and rebooting everything, turning off apps, internet connections,
etc.  I finally seemed to solve it by unchecking some UDP options in the radio
control sections of WSJT-x. Weirdness.

Later I had to shut down for about an hour due to thunderstorms but otherwise
full time.  Looks like Bud AA3B and I have very similar scores and band
breakdowns!

I'm still not sold on FT8/4 as a contest mode, but I guess it's here to stay and
FT8 is unbelievable for pulling out the weak ones.  I just wish we could get
people to spread out more. Seems like if you arent in the bottom two kc running
a KW your rate suffers and many stations wont "hear you" unless you
call them very close to their TX frequency.  The answer is SDR wideband radios
like the Flex so we can spread out without "spinning a knob" and
perhaps more variety in the messaging, but that'll be an evolutionary process
that wont happen overnight.  I am amazed by the ability of FT8 to make QSO's at
-24 db SNR, but it doesnt work so well when the 2-3kc channel is overflowing
with interference.  There are still lots of DX that wont venture into FT4 or
into the contest for that matter, so we end up spending a lot of time contesting
in the usual windows in non-contest messaging mode to pick up multipliers and
Q's and trying to avoid Q's with guys that shortcut or wont send their grid.

73, Ty K3MM