[3830] KsQP N8II Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@aol.com
Subject: [3830] KsQP N8II Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 20:10:00 +0000
                    Kansas QSO Party - 2021

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 16

   80:    5      5
   40:   76     48
   20:  175    218
   15:   25     21
   10:    2      0
    6:
----------------------------
Total:  283    292      0  Mults = 99  Total Score = 141,967

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Another super turnout from KS hams, especially when compared to MDC the party
before. Thanks to W0BH for handing out many Q's as K0S, W0I, and N0Q from his
mobile and for organizing such a great party! I had propagation challenges and
QRN from nearby storms which reached levels near the highest of the entire
summer from 1930-2200Z forcing a shut down right around dinner time at 21Z which
worked out pretty well.

40 was ugly from here even without the noise! Right from the start, it was
difficult to break pile ups and really tough by 16Z. It was a waste of time with
100W to try calling weak mobiles who had pile ups calling for the most part.
Others were buried in the QRN Saturday; it was quiet Sunday except local crud on
CW end at times. I easily missed 2-3 counties that I heard but could not work on
40, plus some others that were active but totally unreadable here and some spent
little or no time on 20. Both days signals dropped out from high absorption
during the early to mid afternoon on 40.

20 was in excellent shape for the most part opening early (wide open 14Z Sunday)
and never completely closing until past 01Z (weak signals starting about 2330Z),
but there was some wicked blanketing absorption when intense sporadic E came
into play around 1845Z Saturday. I heard a MO to KS QSO on 20. SSB activity
plummeted Sunday 1630-1900Z, no fun for KS stations who had worked out the band;
they should have moved to 15 Saturday when it was open.

15 M was closed Sunday to KS. Saturday conditions were excellent at times, but
activity stayed pretty low. I could have easily made over 100 Q's on 15 with
more activity. My first KS Q's were at 1712Z with K0S/W0I and by 1842Z the band
was wide open with last QSO at 2050Z. 10 was marginal with the stations who
moved there.

The mobiles make the 18 hour QP duration very doable without running out of Q's
and of course provide many mults. Congrats and many thank again to Butch
K0O/WY0A who I think hit all of his 39 scheduled counties in a solo operations.
20 was no problem with Butch except for after 24Z, but 40 was rougher this year;
his 40M mobile signal was better than some fixed stations. I heard him in 3
counties (barely in one) Sunday where he could not copy me, but I am guessing
the QRN from Ida or other storms was bad in KS. Most all other times he pulled
out my weak whispers. He gave me the most counties. Bob, K0S/W0I/N0Q provided
the most QSO's with one tri-county line good for 9 SSB Q's at once. Thanks to
Mary W0C/AB7NK for some rare ones (perhaps Hamilton the rarest of all) and for
letting me grab an extra Q with her driver Neal, K7SEN; they drove over all the
way from from central AZ to take part. Special thanks also to Mark K0I/KI0I for
many QSY's from 20 CW to SSB, and a few up to 15 for 45 total Q's and many mults
as well! The multitude of others are all appreciated Alan N0R/N5NA, Bob N4CD,
Jon W0O/W0ZQ from MN!, Bill N0U/NU0Q, Bill N0W/N0AC (missed him a lot), Con
(driver N5KW) K0A/K5CM, RJ N0I/WY7AA from WY, Ron N0E/AD0DX, Tanner K0T/KD0IRW,
and Charles N0K/K0HNC. Quite a large group, thanks for the many miles!

My QSO total was about 45 higher than last year (running 200W then) which was
not normal for mobiles due to the pandemic and mults one better. I need to tune
the CW bands for mobiles more, even when things are busy as not all ops are
spotted. At least I had missed so many on Saturday that 12 mults were added
Sunday vs. zero last year. The op time is really somewhat less than 16 hours.
I squeezed in a few HI Q's and about 58 OH Q's during the KQP.

Saturday, I was not really operating at my best. Thanks for the great turnout
and all of the QSO's. Congrats to Axel, KI6RRN for what I'm guessing is a new
SOHP record, impressive well over 700 Q's!

73, Jeff