[3830] WWDigi K6UFO(@K6MTU) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6ufo@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WWDigi K6UFO(@K6MTU) M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 02:40:43 +0000
                    World Wide Digi DX Contest - 2021

Call: K6UFO
Operator(s): K6UFO K6TD W0YK ND2T WD6T
Station: K6MTU

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Remote Operation

  160:
   80:  154    30
   40:  395    61
   20:  333    43
   15:  202    36
   10:    5     4
-------------------
Total: 1089   174  Total Score = 474,324

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This year we tried Multi-Two for first time and made a Huge 3X improvement in
score over last year's Multi-One. Maybe we're getting better, or maybe all the
FT operators are learning to contest better?

We tried to stay on the contest frequencies, but often ran out of stations, and
had to go to the regular 074 frequencies and deal with the signal report
interrupting the simple, smooth exchange of grids. FT4 was only useful when NA
signals booming, like 40m early evening, and again we ran out of stations and
had to go back to FT8.

Conditions not very good. Getting anything on 10m took lots of attention, and
probably too much time, but we got  4 Mults. No 160m antenna so we missed a few
Mults there, too. But 15m, 20m and 40m were very good, and even 80m provided
better than expected considering the high A index and unsettled conditions.

The remotely operated K6MTU station is wonderful. Two big tribanders, 40m yagi
and 80m 4-square. Bandpass filters to allow two transmitters with zero
interference. Kudos to K6TD for how powerful the station is, and we were spotted
far and wide on PSKreporter. But, one amp didn't work on 20m. One tribander
didn't work on 20m. Our amp overheated on 80m, and we had to throttle way back
the power. We lost one radio for about a half hour when a band change didn't
work and the radio needed rebooting to get the logging and antenna reconnected
properly. Just the usual issues of contest operation...

Operator cooperation and camaraderie was great. We used the audio conference in
Slack (Huddle) to talk to each other, and kept our computer focus on making
QSOs. Five operators allowed us to keep two radios going with short 4 hour
shifts repeated two or three times. We learned we all need even more screen
space to keep our eyes on the software, logging, radios, amps, antennas,
PSKreporter, etc. More big screens please!

Mark K6UFO
Tom ND2T
Kevin K6TD
Ed W0YK
Dave WD6T

Two Flex 6700 with SmartSDR and DAX
JK Mid-Tribanders at 65 and 95 feet high
JK 4 el 40m yagi at 110 feet
80m 4-square array
High power bandpass filters and combiner (i.e. Triplexer)
Elecraft KPA1500 and SPE Expert 1.3k amps
Writelog and DigiRite