[3830] ARRL Sep VHF WA2VNV Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, sintchak@optonline.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF WA2VNV Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 18:21:16 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  221    74  Total Score = 21,238

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

The contest environment has changed. It was slow going after working the usual
op's who were on at the beginning of the contest & running my 6 bands on SSB
& CW. It then became a 6 & 2 meter FT8 digital contest for the duration.
Conditions were flat and my score was less than last year 32k that had some 6
meter short openings. This year no Es on 6 meters here in the NE & no tropo.
Short burst calls came & went on FT8 without completion. Probably airplane
or rain storm scatter. However, FT8 did provide some longer distance Q's for my
Low Power class that were not usually possible for me on SSB or CW without some
tropo enhancement. Most on 2m. South - KF7NN, FM07, 340mi/548km. KN4SM, FM16,
also 340/548. AA4ZZ, EM96, 564/908 (Best). North - K1DY, FN54, 329/529. West -
K2LNS FN01, 309/497. MSK mode, KO9A, EN52, 827/1331, late Saturday night. So you
can see I'm maxed out at about average 350 miles for flat conditions. So FT8 has
advantages for me, but it can be slow at times. Feel sorry for the 2 rovers I
did work. Tnx for being out there. 73's to all and hope to be on for January
from Florida EL96 at N4BRF club station BRARA.org with K1DS if Covid allows me
to travel down there.