[3830] TxQP N8II SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@aol.com
Subject: [3830] TxQP N8II SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 20:07:41 +0000
                    Texas QSO Party - 2021

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:    5      0
   40:   54      5
   20:  156    167
   15:    2      0
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  222    172      0  Mults = 141  Total Score = 152,910

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Score includes 10,500 bonus points for working mobiles in different counties.

Saturday was a little ugly. There was too much overall activity with 5 QP's, SAC
CW, Rte 66 and POTA stations all fighting for their space. To boot, after about
2 hours, some of the mobiles on 20 were weak to unreadable here, notably N5NA
who is usually reliably heard and K5DX. It was easier to run stations on SSB at
least at times than to hunt down weak mobiles who were shifting frequency to
avoid QRM on both modes. Also blanketing absorption on 40 was pretty severe both
days for many hours, even fairly bad at 14Z Sunday. It just was not justified to
try and wait out everyone else calling CW mobiles in or near the noise on 40 to
maybe have them hear me. 1810-1845Z was the most fun for me running SSB with a
steady stream of TX, WA, and IA callers. Switching logs took maybe 2 seconds
total. A lot of rare counties answered my CQ's on SSB throughout the weekend. I
worked all 5 QP's, but did not spend much effort on IA, NJ, or NH. I made 168
Q's with WA.

Thanks so much to the mobiles who kept it interesting on an otherwise mostly
slow Sunday. County totals were: W5CT = 28, AD4EB 25, K5CM 14 with 26 Q's, N5NA
14, K5DX 13, WW5X 10, WB0TEV 7, K5EC 5, N4CD 5,KI5MM 4, K5IX 2, and WA5DSS 2.
Thanks to you all for putting in so many miles. Some mobile signals very loud,
others a struggle. The pile ups got a lot bigger and messier on CW Sunday.

The rules do not give any incentive to LP stations or I would have gone for
broke in this QP. 5 QP's in one weekend is too many. Another weekend would
please most ops better for this major QP.

Thanks for the Q's and calls!

73, Jeff