[3830] CaQP WA7BNM/6 SO QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CaQP WA7BNM/6 SO QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 04:25:06 +0000
                    California QSO Party - 2021

Call: WA7BNM/6
Operator(s): WA7BNM
Station: WA7BNM

Class: SO QRP
QTH: S.Calif
Operating Time (hrs): 13.5

  160:
   80:    4     0
   40:  109     0
   20:  220     1
   15:  109     4
   10:
--------------------
Total:  442     5  Mults = 52  Total Score = 69,472

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Radio: KX3/PX3 - 5 watts
       WinKeyer Mini

Antennas: SteppIR DB-36 at 70 ft
          Optibeam OB16-3 tribander at 50ft fixed SE
          Simple A/B switch between antennas

First contest with KX3. Like the RF capabilities of the radio, but it takes a
mass of little connecting cables to interface between KX3, PX3 and computer.

Rearranged my usual weekend schedule to be able to operate into Sunday morning.
Remembered from last year, that S&P with QRP was not effective, so started
almost immediately CQing. Probably less than 10 QSOs were S&P. Listened/CQed
on 10m often during the contest, but never heard anyone. Was surprised to have
EU stations reply to my CQing on 40m, 20m and 15m - never expected that while
running 5 watts.

I see that my overall average rate was 32 QSOs/hr, but much of the time it
seemed much slower. The good news about running QRP is that virtually everyone
who replies is loud since they have to have decent antennas to hear you.

73 de Bruce, WA7BNM   (bhorn@hornucopia.com)