[3830] ARRL 10G+ K1RZ 10G Only

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10G+ K1RZ 10G Only
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 12:15:32 +0000
                    ARRL 10 GHz and Up Contest - 2021

Call: K1RZ
Operator(s): K1RZ
Station: K1RZ

Class: 10G Only HP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 30

  10G:        46            28765
  24G:
  47G:
  75G:
 123G:
 134G:
 241G:
Light:
-------------------------------------
Total:        46            28765  Total Score = 33,365

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

For Round 1 Tropical Storm Henri twisted up my week on Block Island with Dale
AF1T, Mickie W1MKY and Steve K3WHC.   We four had a great time until Friday
afternoon when it became very clear that then Hurricane Henri would cross the
island on Sunday.   Steve and I took the point that it would be the prudent
thing to be off the island and out of New England before Henri made landfall.

After standing by for the ferry boat Friday afternoon and evening, I made it out
on the first ferry on Saturday morning arriving on the mainland about 0915.
Driving across my boyhood home state of CT seemed endless as I was still in CT
until after 1530.   The I-95 southbound lanes were clogged with so many other
vacationers coming off the Cape and other parts of Southern New England.   And
the north bound lanes were filled with convoys of electric utility trucks and
tree trimmers flocking to the region of Henri.   Needless to say it was just
after 2100 local when I got home in MD and got on to work AF1T, W1MKY and K3TUF.
   Dale and Mickie were coming through with very good Rainscatter signals, as
expected.  These two Block Island contacts were my best DX for whole contest at
518 km.

Sunday started by working Ray N3RG as has become our usual early morning contact
in every 10 GHz and the Sprints.   The rest of the day was characterized by more
rainscatter contacts, which is the only upside to the entrance of Henri.   It
was good to see so many portables in my region too with W2RMA, WA3PTV, N9ZL
along with locals W3EKT and K3EJJ.   Then the RS contacts with KA2LIM, W2FU,
N2WK and VE3KH.   And the distant portable contacts with K2DH, K2UA and K9PW.
Then Mark checked in from FN01TA, now on his way back to Michigan after
attending the family wedding in CT – AND bringing 10, 24 and 47 GHz – to the
wedding.  Well not actually to the wedding, just immediately after the wedding.
We worked easily on 10 GHz RS with Mark using his new barefoot transverter and a
small antenna at 215 km.   Ended the first round with 20 QSOs and 17 unique
calls.

For Round 2 I was with Phil K3TUF, Steve K3WHC and Bill W2RMA in Mountain Top,
PA – on the mountain top at FN21BE for the weekend.   We were set up on Friday
afternoon, out for dinner with Phil’s family and friends and then back
Saturday morning before 0600 local to start the contest.    At 2 minutes of 6 it
started to rain, and the tarp was quickly secured over the rig on the tripod.
First contacts were with Peter VA3ELE and Hugh VA3TO in FN25WF, an hour and 45
minutes after the contest started.   Yes we love the RS propagation mode, but
yes it always means someone is getting rained on.  Hi.

The rest of the weekend was pretty much as predicted with conditions normal, not
good, or great, but with a few more RS opportunities thrown in.   It was good to
work Tony K8ZR in two grids, plus VE3SMA and VE3EG (sporting a new 2 watt power
amp).   Also worked the W2FU, K2TER, K2CS and WA2TMC team at FN23CA.  Great to
run with you guys.   K1OR, N1DPM and K1CA were prominent in my log from the
elementary school parking lot in FN42AD.   School parking lots are often a good
flat spots with few trees…sometimes on a hill.    Don W1FKF and Lanette KA1NKD
moved around a lot and were my farthest contact on the round 2 weekend when they
were on 6000 ft Mount Washington NH for 508 km.    It was good to again work the
K2DH, K2UA and N2MG team on Mt Greylock at FN32KP.   What a great location.
And you guys are so aggressive in your operations.

My thanks to Andy K0SM as author of the https:/rainscatter.com software tool –
everybody who has 10 GHz should register-on-that-site so we all can reach out to
you during the year when the tool shows us rain cells that provide a solution
for the rest of us to work you.    And thanks too Andy for your QSO from
FN12EV.

By the end of both weekends I worked Peter VA3ELE seven times and Hugh VA3TO six
times, placing you two operators at top of list for most aggressive portables in
the region.  I know you have set-up and tear-down to a science at this point.
Thanks for all these contacts for me and for so many others.

In Round 2 I got to work my long time 10 GHz cohort, mentor, and friend in
Maryland - Ed Bruns W3EKT for what was to be our last contact, as Ed has now
become a Silent Key.  Ed would also work me on our ten bands in 4 minutes for a
10 band sweep in the VHF contests.  Best DX Ed.

And to everyone who participated my thanks for getting on and making the ARRL 10
GHz and Up my most favorite operating activity of every year.    73 my friends.
Dave  K1RZ