[3830] TBDC K4XL Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, grimm@sbc.edu
Subject: [3830] TBDC K4XL Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 12:16:13 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Pre-Stew

Call: K4XL
Operator(s): K4XL
Station: K4XL

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Virginia
Operating Time (hrs): 10

Total:  QSOs = 401  Total Score = 1,356

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I got off to a late start, but after doing a quick S&P to get the other
runners, I settled in for a lengthy run that was very productive.  I ran using
the vertical as a receive antenna while the band was quiet.  As the QRN built, I
switched to my NE beverage and began working the occasional European and lots of
East Coast stations.  QSB on weak Europeans made some Qs difficult but I usually
managed to get all the info.
In addition to working the locals, the high point of the contest for me was
working VA3BOH.  This was his very first CW qso ever!  Imagine jumping into a
contest to make your first CW qso!
The only South American heard was an LU station with a very strong signal, but I
wasn't able to get him to hear me.  Lots of others tried and didn't make it.  I
worked a few Carribean stations but not much activity other than KP2 and KP4.  I
went to bed at 0500 and got up and was at it again by 0830.  Very slow going at
that time of the night.
Local Yardhogs worked include K2KW, K3WW, W4PK, N3CW, K4YCR, NJ4Q, W4CB, NN4RB
and N4DB.
My goal for this test was 400, higher than last year's 339. I finally hit my
goal at 1143, well after sunup!  Now for some rest!