[3830] SS CW W8FN Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w8fn@windstream.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW W8FN Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2021 14:32:08 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2021

Call: W8FN
Operator(s): W8FN
Station: W8FN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 22.5
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  375
   40:  285
   20:  236
   15:    5
   10:
------------

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Things started reasonably good, but this year's running of SS CW seemed midly
snakebit as the weekend wore on. 80 meters wasn't nearly as productive as last
year, and the 40 meter results didn't seem as good either. I was forced to spend
more time on 20 with my poor low dipole than I really wanted, and the lower QSO
totals show it.

Sunday was more of a brutal slog than I can remember it being in the past, with
hour after hour of rates in the 25-30 range. Usually in the last couple of hours
of the contest the rate picks up, but this time it wasn't the case.

Mr. Murphy made an appearance as well. With about 5 hours to go something in the
Radio 2 antenna switching failed and I couldn't get any antenna at all to the
rig, leaving me with only one radio for the rest of the contest.

With under 2 hours to go and the rate stuck at 25 or so, I decided to call it
quits with 900 QSOs in the log, figuring that finishing up at the low rate would
probably net me only 4000 or so additional points. I pulled the plug at 0130Z,
had a beer, and went to catch up on my sleep.

Missed EWA, KL7 and NT for a sweep. I don't feel too bad about the score, given
that my 20 meter antenna is poor and my 500 watts is down 5 dB from the high
power competition running full power. Despite all this SS was fun, and I
wouldn't miss one for anything. Next year I'll be back with real antennas for a
better result. Hope everyone else had a good time and a good score.

73...
Randy, W8FN