[3830] SS CW N6AN Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6an@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW N6AN Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 05:53:59 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2021

Call: N6AN
Operator(s): N6AN
Station: N6AN

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: LAX
Operating Time (hrs): 5:27

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:   28
   20:   57
   15:   71
   10:
------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Last minute operation from the Tree People park off Coldwater Canyon Ave in
Studio City. I strung a 59' EFRW between two collapsible fishing poles, one end
at 16', the other at 8'. I sat at a picnic table with a KX3 @ 5 watts, hand
sending and paper logging. The first 4 hour stint began around 9 AM as the fog
was lifting leaving everything damp. By the time I quit for lunch the sun was
baking hot and all was dry. I returned at 4 PM determined to finish out the
contest, this time with a 66' doublet fed with CAT 5 twisted pair. I got the
ends up about 16'. Both antennas were parallel to a several hundred foot
drop-off to the east. As the sun set the cool, clammy air returned.
Conditions were very good for me. I was able to run some stations on 15 and 20.
The improved solar activity really boosted my signal. I had a nice 17 QSO run on
14001.1. Later, on 7009 I was getting good results when the radio suddenly died.
My battery was depleted with 100 minutes to go. Aargh! I could have found many
of the 22 missing mults on 40 if I'd had more juice.
Sections missed: RI, NLI, NC, SFL, LA, WTX, LAX, ORG, SB, SJV, EWA, NV, UT, WY,
OH, QTA, MAR, NL, NT, ONN, PE, QC.
Sitting in the dark, damp air logging by headlamp light after sunset was
interesting.
Thanks for the QSOs. And thanks to those who had to dig me out of the noise. I
appreciate your efforts!
73,
David N6AN