[3830] SS CW N8II Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@aol.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW N8II Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 23:50:46 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2021

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 14.2

------------
  160:    0
   80:  169
   40:  268
   20:  280
   15:   39
   10:    0
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Actual operating time was probably about an hour less than the official N1MM+
count due to household interruptions. I suffered pretty mightily from low rates
from 14-23Z Sunday with best hour of 33 Q's and many in the teens. But, I have
to assume the pain was even worse for some others judging by total operating
time vs. QSO's. This contest does not justify a 30 hour operating span.

Things got off to a pretty decent start, best hour was 22Z with 87 Q's on 20M,
with 13Z at 82 on 40. I could have improved score, by staying up later, but was
getting mentally and physically tired at 03Z, so quit soon after at 0312Z with
412 Q's in the log.

15 was much more worthless than expected at the start and on Sunday too,
particularly to CA which was very weak until around 19Z Sunday. KL7SB was
booming in on 15 for a mult at 2040Z. 20 was quite good both Saturday night and
Sunday; skip zones could have been shorter if the flux had held levels earlier
in the week. I have never missed AK on 20 before, usually get called. Some big
guns were S9 on backscatter like N4AF and W2RQ, pretty impressive! 40 stayed
somewhat open to the East Coast pretty late, hung with it until 0153Z. 80 was in
good shape both nights (no dreaded long skip zone!) with an absence of 5/7/0
area stations; I think many were still on 40 because a couple of 6's were pretty
loud. Skip on 40 was pretty short most of the daytime, almost no skip zone at
19Z. In the morning VA seemed pretty solid on 40, but not so with PA and MD. I
finished up my effort with a nice run of casual ops on 80 at 0026Z with 48 Q's
in 37 minutes. Efforts to run on any band were marginal at best during the bad
hours from 1430-23Z; I should have S&P'ed more then.

I had 79 sections in the log Saturday night without much effort. Multiple WY
were worked Sunday, and I was lucky to get the rest I worked: NL, ONN, and AK
(last 2 late afternoon) with one Q each all S&P. I never heard NT. Congrats
to K7SV for the sweep and breaking 1K Q's and top ten on 3830, my score less
than 75% of his. Also a nod to K4OAQ in very SW VA for 799 Q's. Judging by my
QSO's with competing clubs vs. PVRC, PVRC looks pretty good for another win.

Thanks much for the Q's, most ops did well copying. With improved condx, it was
obvious a few had trouble copying even a loud signal. It would be nice if when
asked for a fill, the whole exchange was not repeated wasting time. I try to
keep the speed down a bit to prevent the need for fills. Somehow, activity needs
to improve.

73, Jeff