[3830] JIDX SSB WD6T(@K6MTU) SOSB/15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] JIDX SSB WD6T(@K6MTU) SOSB/15 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 17:17:25 +0000
                    JIDX Contest, Phone - 2021

Call: WD6T
Operator(s): WD6T
Station: K6MTU

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: N. CA
Operating Time (hrs): 4:30
Remote Operation

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:  173    41
   10:
-------------------
Total:  173    41  Total Score = 7,093

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

After a full effort in CW Sweepstakes last weekend, I was not up to committing
to the K3EST M2. Plus, I needed to be an SO for the Northern California Contest
Club "Asia-Oceania Challenge."  This is a new intra-club competition
to encourage activity in the  All-Asia, JIDX and Oceania contests.  Although a
single-band entry is not the way to win that contest, as the president of the
club, I wanted to show my support.

For this contest, I had the privilege of operating the K6MTU mountain-top
station. Although I have done RTTY and FT8 from there, I have never tried phone
and wanted to see if I could address the various challenges of operating phone
without RemoteRig. Getting this working required some experimentation and
innovation.  The results were quite successful and included using the Macintosh
version of SmartSDR on one computer, while logging with another, using a
separate mouse for PTT, and using an external audio interface for the headset.

15 meters was in good shape and the station was a pleasure to operate. Many
thanks to Kevin K6TD for his support. My only issue was a buzzing noise source
in the direction of JA, which required a maximum Noise Blanker setting, and
affected my ability to copy the weakest signals.

After 15 meters closed, I celebrated with a nice sushi dinner, a tradition after
this contest!

73,
Dave
WD6T