[3830] SS SSB KB4KBS SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kb4kbs@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB KB4KBS SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 15:31:53 +0000

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

SOULP - 80M only

Yaesu FT-450D
100W
MFJ-939 Tuner
G5RV Dipole Antenna @ ~15M AGL
N1MM+ Contesting Software

Did not really plan to do this contest. It started at the same time as the
Carolina Hurricanes vs LA Kings hockey game which was followed by the Nashville
Predators vs Montreal Canadiens match.  When Nashville went down 5-0 after 2
periods and they pulled their starting goalie, I was disgusted enough to turn it
off and wander upstairs to the radio.

I decided to do a Single Band effort on 80M so I began a S&P up and down the
band for a while then ran for a while then back to S&P.  I was surprised at
how well I did, and disappointed that I didn't do better.  I don't regret
missing the start of the contest while the Hurricanes had a tight back-and-forth
with LA winning 5-4, but should have bailed on the Predators sooner.  It was
Hockey Night in Canada featuring "Les Habitants du Montreal" in
"le Centre Bell". I should have known better.

I managed to work 65 of the 84 sections.  I got 7 of the 13 Canadian sections;
missed AB,ONN (probably watching the hockey game), and QC which I thought I
would get (I heard a VA2 but couldn't work him). Got all of 0, 1, 2, 3, 8, and 9
except KP2. I got almost all of 4 but I didn't hear SFL and WCF - maybe they
didn't bother with 80M. Missed OK and WTX in the 5s. I didn't get as many 6
sections as I wanted (4 of 9); I did get PAC (KH7X) but missed getting AK and UT
in the 7s.

Started at 02:30z and shut down at 08:32 when I ran out of steam and fresh
contacts. did have a nice short run of 31 Qs in 30 minutes from 07:00z-07:30Z
then another 17 Qs between 08:15 and 08:30.  Maybe another 2 hours might have
yielded another 30 or 40 Qa, but we'll never know.