[3830] SS SSB W4AAA(KK9A) SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, john@w4aaa.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W4AAA(KK9A) SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 14:22:47 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: W4AAA
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: W4AAA

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: North Carolina
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:  403
   40:  420
   20:  109
   15:   18
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

I have been QRT for a while and the shack was still apart from my May operation
in Aruba. I spent all Saturday morning hooking things. Over the summer I had
redesigned and refurbished two of my long boom 20m beams and I replaced a 2
element 40m beam with a 4 element so I anxious to try things out. I started on
20m, like I always do, but this year I had no callers. Finally I made a couple
of S&P QSOs snagging the rare Virgin Island mult for my second QSO before
quickly switching to 40m. CQing on 40m was a little more effective but still
slow so a half hour later I tried 20m again. This time I was able to run however
the rates were not what I expected for the first hour of the Sweepstakes
contest. Incredibly after a slow first hour, the second and third hour were even
worse! We had beautiful sunny 60 degree weather and at that point I seriously
considered shutting down and doing something else. Fortunately I continued on
and in the fourth hour things got better when 80m opened. I found a nice spot on
3.705MHz that stayed QRM free for two hours and I had steady string of callers.
The nighttime skip on 40m was long however I still had good western US runs.
During the daytime on Sunday, 40m was my go-to band working many stations in the
northeast, midwest and parts of the southeast.  From my station with high
antennas the skip was just too long on 20m. The stations that I worked were
either in western half of the midwest or along the far west coast. I spent too
much time on this band trying to make something happen but at least it worked
well for multipliers. 15m had even longer and spottier skip. Working all
sections is a big part of sweepstakes and I am happy to have worked all 84 for
the SWEEP. Thanks to everyone for the QSOs. I would like to thank my QSL manager
Tim, WD9DZV for answering QSLs, uploading my logs and for the great lunch that
we had when I visited Chicago last week.

73,
John KK9A