[3830] CQWW CW VE9AA SOSB15 Classic HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE9AA SOSB15 Classic HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 23:22:45 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOSB15 HP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: NB
Operating Time (hrs): 21:11

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15: 1378    27      100
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1378    27      100  Total Score = 447,294

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

I could hear something.  Some kind of noise I could not identify.
It was dark and my eyes were still closed.  I fought the urge to go back to
sleep thinking this must be a dream.  I heard the noise again.  Far away, in the
distance I could tell it was starting.   I opened one eye. There it is again,
but louder. Other eye.  Nope...now fading.  I tried to go back to sleep but some
type of force pushed me out of bed.

 This is gonna be tough, getting up at this hour on a weekend.  I  got my
Thermos full of the nasty ol' black goo, got dressed and prepared for my
journey. It was cold outside, the ground covered with 10cm of the white stuff.
This would make my 15m journey harder.  I wrestled with my coat.  Hard to get
the right sleeve on. I grabbed my weapon and ventured off into the dark towards
the sounds sticking my chest out as bravely as I dared hope.

I wandered aimlessly even though instinct told me I should head towards the
light that was now faintly visible on the horizon.  I am getting lost.  I only
hear mumbles. I needed to seek out The Wise One for guidance.

I found the whithered old man on top of the hill, just like I knew I would. His
back leaning up against the immense metal tree.  He was listening for the noises
too, but he knew what to do.

Mike, he said. I see you've come for advice.

Yes, Guru , I seek your guidance on this 2nd WW journey I am undertaking this
weekend.

Show me your weapon he says.

Here it is.

THAT'S your weapon? It looks more like an umbrella that's lost its fabric.

Well, yes, I can't carry a large aluminum weapon into battle this weekend as I
hurt my arm during the speaking quest last month.
I was going to ask you about that bunched up arm on your coat. What do you have
hiding under there?
I showed him my brace.

My boy, he said, you can't go on a 15m journey with THAT.  You'll never be able
to protect yourself from the big dogs.
You need one of these (he indicated the 200' tower with 8 stacked 8-element 15m
yagis) This will protect you from any big dogs in the pileups along the way.
This, my son,  is how it's done.

But this is all I can carry Guru.

So be it Mike. Your journey cannot wait any longer. The dawn, it draws nigh.
There will be much commotion . With that he handed me a small satchel full of
various items.  The last thing you need to know Mike , is on your journey, if
you cannot communicate with the spirits, because you're underpowered just employ
a few tricks.  This bag is full of them.  Some of them will make you seem louder
or softer or push you off to one side of the big dogs.  Avoid them at all costs
Mike, as they can attack.  Don't get in between the dogs fighting either. Off
you go !

I nodded my head , thanked the Guru and headed down the hill towards the light.
With 2 hours less daylight than my last quest in October, I needed to hurry and
avoid the darkness at all cost.  I seek the "Magic Fifteens".

I heard many scary noises as the sun rose, but managed to avoid most big dogs as
I dodged this way and that.  When things got very loud midday, I hid on small
knolls along the way and rested, calling out to anyone who could hear me.  I
dozed off and dreamt of Europe, Africa and the wide open countryside of South
America.  As I had a rest in one very quiet spot I swear I could hear all of the
Carribean talking to me.  I had visions of the Pacific dance in my head but few
spirits communicated with me from there.  SE Asia was pretty much a no go.  The
big dogs are sometimes just bigger.

When the day was done, I lay down my head and rested so I could complete my
journey back home the next day.

There was much less confusion and fighting the next day along the path in the
woods, but still, I had to employ the last of the tricks given to me by the wise
one, as my weapon was small and there was no taking on the big dogs armed to the
teeth.
Was it worth it?

You seek the knowledge of the vision quest of communication and you shall find
happiness, even if your weapon is small.
May your journey be one of great pleasure and inspiration!

CU (all of a sudden!) in the next journey.

Mike VE9AA
Single IC7410, wire 4-square made of vertical dipoles.