[3830] CQWW CW OH2R(OH2PM) SO(A)SB80 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pertti.simovaara@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW OH2R(OH2PM) SO(A)SB80 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 19:07:57 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: OH2R
Operator(s): OH2PM
Station: OH2BH

Class: SO(A)SB80 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 34

  160:    0     0        0
   80: 2093    34      104
   40:    0     0        0
   20:    0     0        0
   15:    0     0        0
   10:    0     0        0
------------------------------
Total: 2093    34      104  Total Score = 435,114

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

Congratulations to Ivan OM0M, Norbert OM6NM and Zdenek OL7R for the outstanding
scores.
My original plan was to operate 80 SB at home where I have Beverage antennas for
reception.  Martti, OH2BH, called  me on Thursday evening and invited me to his
contest station which is not far from my QTH.  The final decision to work 80 SB
assisted  was made on Friday afternoon after we had tuned the 2nd antenna, a
Sloping dipole, to the CW portin of the band. Then Martti headed back home I
went home to pick up my meals etc. for the week end.

This the time of the year when aurora activity is high. It means that the path
to NA is blocked at night time and path to Japan closes around 17z. Since
propagation to the highest DX-potential sources NA and Japan was uncertain( in
European locations more than 55 deg N the path to NA is to certain extend
affected by aurora and in my QTH 60 deg N aurora blocks the path almost
totally).
Knowing this I decided to focus on catching multipliers to ensure a decent score
because no great DX-runs were expected. It ment that the 3el yagi was directed
to NA at time and to Japan in the afteernoon to benfit the potential even short
openings.
Due to the stratecy 31 % the QSOs were made in S&P mode.
During the first hours on Saturday I heart KH7LC, NH7T and KL7RA quite well but
did not get the NA wall. I nber heart them later, thus double multipliers from
zones 31 and 1 were missed. I did call CN8WW and KH6J in several occasions byt
could not hear their potential answers through continuous calls from EU and NA.
No call from zones 10, 12, 34 and 38 was heart.
After reading the scores of OM0M, OL7R and OM6NM I have made some reeverse
calculations to understand how what makes the the small but decisive
differences:
OM0M had a little over 800 DX QSOs, abt 31 %, 138 mults.
OL7R had at least 750 DX QSOs, over 32 %, 139 mults.
OM6NM had over 700 DX QSOs, 32%, 142 mults.
OH2R with mult and DX focus only a lttle over 500 DX QSOs, 25% , 138 mults.

One may well question my strategy and say that the contest was lost already
during the first 3 hours when OM0M made 570 QSOs and OH2R only 230 QSOs.
300 NA calls and 100 from JA were logged.
I had two 6 hour rest periods around noon time and an 1 hour break in between
the run and a i hour power break at the computer. A few shorter breaks for
warming my meals and making coffee.

I love the aftermath of the contest results almost as much as the excitement of
the contest.I also would like to read more about other operators thoughts and
feelings. After 62 years of contesting, contesting is not only a hobby and after
19 years of retirement, life style.

I enjoyed every moment of the contest. Many thanks to Martti for the
invitation.

Thanks for all the QSOs.
Keep safe and see you in the next contests.

73 de Pertti, OH2PM