[3830] CQWW CW N8II SOAB Classic LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N8II SOAB Classic LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 23:56:13 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOAB LP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:  126     8        7
   80:   48     9       26
   40:  182    16       60
   20:  565    29       82
   15:  437    25       85
   10:   47    14       25
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I was expecting conditions to be better, but much better than 2019. Real op time
was under 23 hours mostly due to helping XYL with daily activities. Taking off a
full hour during EU morning run time would be suicidal to my effort. 20 was far
from great at the start, 40 was okay first night and I broke most pile ups in
1-3 tries, had to abandon about 10%. I was making decent progress on 80 at 0350Z
when I decided not to push myself past the exhaustion I was feeling.

Morning time is EU run fun time. Both days around 12Z I worked a big burst of
mainly RA/UR stations including several zone 17's, but around 1245Z the callers
went away for the most part. Up to 15 just before 13Z both days yielded some EU
immediately including Scandinavia and the Baltic states; there was plenty of
apparently unoccupied space at first, and always some strong signals with
running ending around 1545Z when running 20 took over with good rates. In fact,
the only really badly crowded time was 40 in first few hours. Most of the time
my 300-350 Hz passband on the FTDX-101D was very free of QRM in good activity
parts of the bands allowing for some very good rates. This year seemed to have
much less congestion than previous years. I struggled from about 19Z through 02Z
Saturday with poorer than normal conditions on all bands and line noise. 15
really sounded poor around 20Z. The noise was gone Sunday making signals really
jump out of the back round. As 20 was starting to close to EU around 17Z, I
S&P'ed and poached JW7QIA high in the band, then heard VU2XE calling a USA
op. I called CQ on the nearest clear frequency and after 5-6 CQ's with no luck,
VU2XE called me! Sunday afternoon conditions were much better, JA's much louder
on 20 at 21-22Z and worked a weak one at 2154Z on 15. JA's were much louder on
15 at 2230Z, but still hard to work through louder callers. I broke a big pile
up on NH2DX on 15, not so lucky with V73NS, but did work VK1A on first call off
back of my beam (good ears!). 10M squeaked open to EU at 15Z, the EU only
stations not near the noise were CR6K and 3 French stations at the end of the
opening. At same time I worked TI, HP, P4, and PJ2 on 10 never to be heard
again.

Many thanks to those who dug me out of the QRN/QRM and for the many CQ
answerers. Come on 10 meters for next year! This time around was pretty
marginal.

73, Jeff