[3830] CQWW CW IY3A(IZ3EYZ) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW IY3A(IZ3EYZ) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2021 23:30:25 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: IY3A
Operator(s): IZ3EYZ
Station: I4FYF

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: JN54
Operating Time (hrs): 45
Radios: SO2R

  160:  179     9       46
   80:  646    17       64
   40:  745    26       84
   20:  907    28       85
   15:  858    31       84
   10:   86    24       45
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

2nd operation from this location, following IARU 2021.
Strong wind above 100 km/h for the whole weekend.
It did calm down a bit when raining/snowing: 00.30z/03.30z on Sunday, 11/13z on
Sunday, 17.15/17.45z on Sunday.

The following associated issues were served:
- heavy static noise S9+++ wiping out all bands when raining/snowing;
- commercial multi-band yagi elements touching each others due to wind and
causing intermittent SWR >3:1;
- rotator unable to turn;
- yagi being turned 90 deg off (and of course you would realize it only later);

I had the stamina for 48 hours straight but when around 00.30z on Sunday S9+20
QRN started, I decided to hit the sack and check back once every hour until the
noise would disappear instead of struggling to S&P for some casual
Europeans.
BVGs would have been useful at this point but I had none (cables re-routed).
During the 11/13z storm, as expected I was able to mitigate things with the only
usable antenna (bottom 5L for 15mt, part of the stack to be).
During the 17.15/17.45z storm I collected the grand total of 4 Qs!

Never left the chair but for reloading the wood stove. Price to pay when
operating barefoot in Winter.

Kudos to Fabio for climbing the tower both days to hook up a couple of temporary
cables to the 15mt yagis.

All in all I think 4K Qs and about 4.5 mln were possible with the current simple
setup, but the weather had other plans on me this time.

Station location: hilltop, 440m asl
Station setup:
2 x RTXs
10: F12 5BA @10m