[3830] ARRL 160 VE3VN Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3vn.fn25@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 VE3VN Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 15:08:51 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2021

Call: VE3VN
Operator(s): VE3VN
Station: VE3VN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ONE
Operating Time (hrs): 18.75

Total:  QSOs = 1145  Sections = 79  Countries = 35  Total Score = 284,316

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

It's the usual pattern: fast start, sputtering middle, and then the long grind.
Just like SS. When the grind starts my attention seriously wanders. I have never
given my full attention to this contest. I need to step away from the shack to
recharge, including long breaks during prime evening hours. Next time I may do
this contest assisted to jump on new call signs and mults to break the monotony
of unanswered CQs, endless VFO twisting and dupes. At least the amp kept the
shack cozy.

Nevertheless this was a nice break from the (cold!) tower work we were doing
this week. DX conditions didn't seem so great but a lot of that might have been
the limited attraction of this contest for most outside of NA. Band was noisy
Saturday night, perhaps due to a series of solar flares.

I repaired the lightning damage to my Beverage system but the head end of the
NE/SW Beverage has high SWR and low output. The Beverage itself tests perfectly
so it's probably a blown transformer in the switching electronics. I also need
to resume work on my electronic Beverage selector since my fingers are
developing callouses from constantly cranking knobs and switches. Happily the
big vertical behaved even though I failed to find the arcing that plagued it
during CQ WW.