[3830] ARRL 160 N9TF SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, gene75942@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N9TF SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 16:35:52 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2021

Call: N9TF
Operator(s): N9TF
Station: N9TF

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 14.7

Total:  QSOs = 354  Sections = 56  Countries = 4  Total Score = 42,720

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

It was great to be back on the air after nearly 6 months of being QRT. Still
getting settled into the new home after the move, and there has not been a lot
of time to do any antenna construction, but I was able to cobble together a low
hanging dipole for 160. One leg is the approx. 120' of continuous gutter system
around the house at about 13' above ground, and a 130' 14 gauge wire running
from the roof just above the the gutter line out to a shed in the back yard 15'
above ground. It loads nicely, and radiates...somewhere!
It was a rough grind with low power and a ground/cloud warmer. I heard stations
very well, but was not being heard well at all on the other end. Friday night
was best conditions as I was able to do a couple short productive runs.
Productive until other stations came along that did not hear me and called CQ.
Booted again! To be expected. Saturday conditions not as good. Runs were a waste
of time and S&P was a grind. Lots of CQ in my face. Ended the first round
with 224 Qs, and was hoping for 500 total, until Saturday happened! Happy to
work 4 DX though, V3,PJ,ZF and C6. All were booming in here. West coast was
light here, but did manage one CA in SDG who called in during one of my short
runs Saturday night.
My new location her in the country of TN seems a lot quieter on 160 than my
former QTH in northern IL. Quite nice to see the S meter rest at S2-3 rather
than S7-9 sometimes 5-10 over S9!
Thanks for all the Qs and your patience with my weak signal.

73 Gene, N9TF

Rig K3S 100 watts
Antenna, 160 1/2 wave dipole at 17' apex.