[3830] ARRL 160 W1SJ SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1sj@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W1SJ SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2021 05:50:22 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2021

Call: W1SJ
Operator(s): W1SJ
Station: W1SJ

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 31

Total:  QSOs = 1135  Sections = 77  Countries = 42  Total Score = 312,613

Club: Radio Amateurs of Northern Vermont

Comments:

Contest started quite slow. For 3 full hours, the absorption was high and only
60 Q/H rates could be achieved with close in stuff. After 0000, things really
popped open and some great 100+ hours were had. European stations were calling
me on and off all night, which is always welcome and surprising on my low 45’
high (.08 wavelength high) dipole. The EU beverage was magical as it dropped the
noise so that the Eu’s could be copied. The price for the good Eu opening was
that openings to the West Coast were far and few.

Saturday night started with good conditions as Europe starting coming in early.
Sadly, static crash noise came later, which wiped out many potential contacts.
Sorry if I didn't hear you - things were tough for a while. West Coast openings
were better and while I picked up 20+ QSO’s, including Hawaii, I still managed
to miss LAX and ORG, which are stupidly easy on other bands.

I ended up with a 48 less QSO’s than last year, but picked up more mults,
including 42 DX countries.

It was fun. But we all know that as the sunspots come back, 160m will get
tougher.