[3830] SS SSB K3KU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K3KU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 20:37:36 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 17:43

------------
  160:
   80:  381
   40:   89
   20:   39
   15:   17
   10:
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I knew that 100W on SSB was going to be tougher than on CW, and I knew that the
supposed-to-be-useful high bands would be tougher with an "all band"
dipole.  And I knew that I had not asked family to indulge me for a full-time
effort.  But I was surprised by events at the start of the contest.

After SS CW, VE4EA (with help from W1VE) had talked me thru setting up a K3-0
and a remoting.com box and software so I could do remote operations.  (Look for
me remote in Winnipeg.  Some day.  I hope.)  Before SS SSB, I restored the N1MM+
Configuration settings to what I had noted they were for my TS-850.  I recorded
my messages for SS, checked things out, and thought I was ready to go.

Starting at 2340Z Saturday night, I checked 20M for western multipliers (like I
always do).  That had paid off in SS Cw, but now I got only MDC, ND7K in AZ, and
SK.  Band not so good.

During those three QSOs I noticed that, while N1MM+ was controlling the radio
OK, it was not reading the radio's frequency.  Maybe it didn't matter, but it
indicated that something was wrong, so I decided to try to fix it.  Playing with
config settings didn't work.  I called Cary.  He guided some telephonic and Zoom
troubleshooting that didn't work.  He left a voice mail for W1VE; I posted a cry
for help on the N1MM discussion board; and, after 70 minutes off I was QRV,
trying 40M at 01Z.

Ugh! STX and VE4GV (Yay!).  On to 80M.

I turned the knob and did a few S&P until I found a freq that seemed
not-too-occupied, and started running.

Absolutely amazing.  Because all the QSOs got logged as 3650.00, I can't be sure
when the run actually started, but it was well over 100 QSOs at about 84/hr.

I had another nice run on 80M around 0330Z, but, again, I can't be sure where I
switched between run and S&P. SDak did call in during that run; other than
it being nice DX for me on75M, I didn't think much of it until I saw that I
worked only one other SD.

Some time 'round midnight VE3KI (I think) posted the answer to my logging
problem, and I got full freq in the log. There were a few other short runs on
80M (32 QSOs at 64/h4 about 00Z Sunday/Monday).

Low bands were pretty noisy.  Running on 40M was poor.  Openings on 20M or 15M
were much weaker than on CW; CQing there was only to attract a VY1/VE8 (Hah!)

Western QSOs were very hard on the high bands.  Could not get through to SB, AK,
OK(!).  Heard but did not have a shot at SF and SDG.  Never heard NT.

I did get a fast QSO with KP2M on 15M.  Phil commented that I was loud; he was
(really) the loudest signal on the band.  It seems that in every contest I find
him on some band with a pipeline opening to my station.

Lots of tactical time-offs during the night.  (Also lots of "house
tours".)  Sunday afternoon had a grandchildren activity that took a couple
of hours.  In the end I gave up with a half hour to go.