[3830] ARRL 10 WQ5L SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 WQ5L SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 00:57:54 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2021

Call: WQ5L
Operator(s): WQ5L
Station: WQ5L

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: MS
Operating Time (hrs): ~18

   CW:  406    61
  SSB:  367    52
-------------------
Total:  773   113  Total Score = 266,454

Club:

Comments:

Seems Cycle 25 saw its shadow and went back into its hole for a while, leaving
us with another feast-or-famine Es fest.

Friday night -- famine. Two loud ZFs, PJ2T, and two locals. Saturday morning --
slightly better. SA was in there at least, and my only DX outside of the
Americas, FR4KR (both modes!), and a weak opening to the Pacific NW around just
after noon which didn't last long.

After the Pac NW faded out, short skip to FL developed and I worked all of them
I could find. They were running east coast which I could not hear at all. These
E-clouds often drift west, so I waited. A bit after 2 PM my CQs got a couple of
loud answers from SC then NC and before long the floodgates were open for a
multi-hour run fest. By supper time this opening had drifted over to the Great
Plains and was fading. Told XYL I would help cook supper as soon as this fizzled
out. But then -- here come fresh loud signals from W1/W2 -- this feast had a
second course. Apologized profusely and kept BIC for a couple more hours. There
were still a few strong signals when I went to bed after 10 PM.

Sunday brought no more run-fun, but was good for a couple more Caribbean Basin
mults, and the noontime opening to the west was considerably better than
Saturday's, putting several more western mults in my log including CA on both
modes which had been missing. And just like last year, the band pretty well shut
down by 3 PM on Sunday.

Propagation to the SW was noticeably missing all weekend. Never heard a peep
from KH6 or anywhere in the South Pacific; only one XE in my log, and very few
AZ/NM. 73 de WQ5L