[3830] ARRL 10 KA6BIM SO CW Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, KA6BIM@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 KA6BIM SO CW Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 03:49:02 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2021

Call: KA6BIM
Operator(s): KA6BIM
Station: KA6BIM

Class: SO CW Unlimited HP
QTH: OR
Operating Time (hrs): 24

   CW:  378    53
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  378    53  Total Score = 80,136

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

The 1978 10 meter contest was my 1st contest and the 10 meter contest has always
been my favorite.  That said,  there have been great years with DXCC worked in a
weekend, and then years like this one…

Friday night was absolutely dismal with only 1 very weak contact for 5 hours of
trying.  Saturday was a little bit better.  At 9 am it opened for an hour or so
and then just sporadic contacts the rest of the day.  It looked like I was on
track for my second worst score in this contest in over 40 years.  Conditions
were so bad that I decided to do cw only and not waste my voice.   I knocked off
Saturday at 6pm after 0 contacts in the last 3+ hours of calling cq.  Band was
just flat dead.  Went up and had dinner with YL and watched a Christmas movie.
Then I went down to the shack to shut things down for the night and … Wait…
There, at almost 10pm,  I actually heard signals coming thru!  I picked up TX,
AZ, CA & BC multipliers that I had not heard in the daytime opening.   And
they were not meteor scatter.  I wondered when the band had opened up, but I
made the most of it, staying on until a bit after midnight making 24 more QSO's.
 I was hoping for a midnight OH over the pole which has happened in years past
but no luck.   Sunday, I came down to the shack at 730 am and found 10 mtrs open
to AZ.   I picked a spot and started running and stayed there most of the day.
By 9 am it was wide open to the  Illinois, Ohio, and New York area.   I worked a
lot of 1’s, but they were all in Florida….  By noon the band was in steep
decline, and was flat dead again by 230pm.    I worked 41 states, 3 provinces, 1
XE state, and 8 dxcc.  Best hour was 110 qso’s.  Missed all of New England
except NH.   Score was just under last years mixed mode entry.  It turned out to
be only my 15th worst score….   Thanks for the QSO"S  Dave ka6bim