[3830] ARRL 10 W8AV SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w8av@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W8AV SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 14:54:40 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2021

Call: W8AV
Operator(s): W8AV
Station: W8AV

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 12.5

   CW:  300    68
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  300    68  Total Score = 81,600

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Thought I would give you an update on the ARRL 10 Meter Contest this weekend.
Conditions were horrible, band was really noisy to the south.  It almost seemed
like working meteor scatter as signals would be loud when stations called and
then dropped into the mud when I answered them.  I know he flux was never above
76 but thought that stateside QSO's would be more plentiful than that especially
with the A never getting above 5 and the K being 0 all weekend.  Plus,
groundwave signals from close in states was virtually nonexistent.  I didn't
work any stations in MI until Sunday when NA8V called in and worked only one
other MI station after that (KT8Y).  Worked some EU DX on Saturday and only one
EU station, an Italian, on Sunday .  Did snag both ZD7BG and FR4KR.  Also had
ZL3IO call in on the long path on Saturday.

I gave up after 300 QSO's to watch the end of the Browns game and took a look
after the game to see if there were any mults in the band map that I could snag
but the band had pretty much died by then.
Missed mults:  9Y, V5, VE6, ND, DC, KY, SC, TN, HI, AK, MT, UT, WI.

Never heard any of them (except for V51YJ who was almost ESP and I would never
had been able to complete the QSO) even though I looked for them from time to
time.  Was surprised that I could not hear N9RV in MT but not a peep out of him
despite the fact that WJ9B in ID was loud when I worked him.  Same with 9Z4Y,
never heard him although I went to his CQ frequency many times.  Only worked
five XE stations (mults were AGS, and BCS), no other VE provinces other than VE1
(VE9AA), VE2, VE3, VE4, VE5, VE7.  Despite that it was fun playing around and
searching for stuff to work.

Until next year when hopefully the flux will be higher and conditions better.